Why do you believe in the Trinity?

by JimmyPage 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

My grandfather wrote and had a book published looking at the Trinity from a scientific view. I never read it since I was raised a Dub. I'm going to go online and buy a copy though. I think two of the elements in his trinity were matter and energy. Can't recall what the third was. PM me if you want to know the title of the book.

• aniron
    aniron

Someone once said that not seeing the Trinity in the Bible is like going out on a clear day and saying there is no sun.

After spending a long time after leaving the JWs , I can see it.

I can't understand it , but its there.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

As you may be aware, I do not believe in the Trinity or the Christian god. However, if that is the road you are travelling, definitely ask around with trinitarians.

Once you see that churches do not teach nor understand the trinity the way JW's try to frame it, it might open up some doors for you.

My point is, don't rule anything out because of your JW indoctrination. the GB has lied and misrepresented the trinity too.

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

Jimmy,

The very best deconstruction of the WT views that I've ever heard -- from the Scriptures -- are contained in the audio files below.

http://www.waltermartin.com/audio_clips/trinity.ram (RealMedia files)

http://www.waltermartin.com/audio_clips/trinity2.ram

Whether or not you believe in the Trinity, after listening to this, you'll understand why many sincere Christians do. You'll also understand why they think WT's idea of God and Christ is offensive.

At the very heart of the matter, for most Christians, are these two questions: (1) Is there only one God? (2) Is Jesus divine?

LWT,

(from the Church of I Don't Know)

• Decided
    Decided

The church I attend to please my wife believes in the trinity. The pastor once said that God was on the cross.

The bible is always unclear about almost everything it says. Most christain religions just believe it means this or that, depending on it's founders.

There are several things said by Christ that makes it hard to believe in a trinity. He said only the Father knows the date of his comming, that his father was greator than him, into your hands I commend my spirit. Holy spirit seems to be not a person but a source of power. They could get filled with it and do all kinds of crazy stuff. They do say it's a mystery and all life is a mystery as to it's origin to me.

I sort of believe in something out there that created all this universe but have never met him yet. I just have one big WHY in my mind.

Ken P.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

One thing that runs unitedly through all 'mainstream' Christian churches is the Trinity and Christ's resurrection.

• bob1999
    bob1999

"There are several things said by Christ that makes it hard to believe in a trinity. He said only the Father knows the date of his comming, that his father was greator than him,"

Greater than him at that time. Hebrews 2:9"..for a little while was made lower than...."

Now his name is "above every name...EVERY knee should bow, in heaven and on earth..." Philippians 2:9

BTW [other] is not part of that verse. Just have a look at your interlinear.

The name Jesus is above all names in heaven and on earth. Period!

Peace

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

It was easy for me not to believe in the Trinity when I only had the WT's definition of it to debunk.

Once I understood the doctrine I realised that the reason my parents were so against it was that they didn't ever know what it was.

When they were kids going to Sunday School, they were not taught how to defend their faith to the unitarian cult members that were soon to knock on their doors.

Now that I do understand the doctrine, it is too late for the religions of my parents to scoop me back into their flocks. I consider all gods to be nothing more than the creations of people who range from harmless to dangerous.

Cheers

Chris

• cabasilas
    cabasilas

Jimmy,

It's hard to deal with such an indepth subject in a single thread. I'd suggest these sources to understand the traditional Christian view on this subject.

A page by page refutation of the Watchtower's Trinity brochure:

http://www.4witness.org/jwysbt/ysbt_contents.php

and this little booklet entitled Jesus of Nazareth Who Is He?

It can be downloaded from this filesharing site:

http://www.filesend.net/download.php?f=d9c22b4c70a5ed395c317b1bd44b75b6

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you want to be a Christian, you pretty much have to accept the trinity.

Or start your own fringe cult movement.

I left a fringe cult movement in 83, I'm done with cults.

One verse the Christians use is John 1:1

In the beginning, the Word existed. The Word was with God, and the Word was God.

They say the word was jesus and Jesus was God.

Personally, I have been reading lately the Sumerrian text and it appears their was a whole

Pantheon of Gods and Jehovah was just a minor demigod of the Jews.

Jesus was a homo sapien who studdied in India till he was 30 and what we might

call a guru today or Maheresh yogi.

The folks who ediited the bible together did it to keep people confused and spinning

their wheels and off the trail of reality.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit