Why do you believe in the Trinity?

by JimmyPage 20 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I believe in God but no longer accept the WT's views. I still find the idea of the Trinity hard to accept, however, probably because of my JW upbringing. A coworker's child died and I attended the church memorial. The songs promoted the Trinity teaching and I found the idea distasteful, even pagan. What makes you accept the Trinity?

• XxJazzxX
    XxJazzxX

The fact that Yah is, by default, the only true God. Seeing verses like Jude 4, 1 Peter 1:1, Revelation 1:7-8, and Isiah 43:10-11 convinced me.

• parakeet
    parakeet

I believe in this trinity -- Freshly steamed Chesapeake blue crabs, Old Bay seasoning, and beer. Singly, each one is good, but together they create a whole greater than the sum of their parts.

As for the religious idea of a trinity, I'm an atheist. Problem solved!

• yknot
    yknot

bookmarking with interest.......

• John Doe
    John Doe

If I did believe in the trinity, or god for that matter, the most accurate answer would necessarily be willful stupidity.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

I appreciate everyone's views. Hopefully I will hear from those on the board who do believe in the Trinity as well as the atheists.

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Hi JimmyPage. I was where you are just a couple of months ago. I think you hit the key issue right on when you referred to your JW upbringing. Any distate you may have towards the Trinity or even going to church has come directly from the WTS.

Do I believe the Trinity. Yes, I believe that God is a spirit being made up of three equal persons. I believe the Trinity is present in our worship to God; our worship is through the Son, by the Spirit, to the glory of the Father.

I've found it useful to hang out with Christians and ask them about the Trinity and other beliefs, such as being saved through faith alone. If you have a local church, find out if they run the Alpha Course. We both attended and found it really helpful and a great way to meet new people*.

*We've made some really great friends through Alpha, I was even invited to play a game of football (soccer) with some of the guys who attend the church that ran the Alpha I attended.

• asilentone
    asilentone

I do not believe in the trinity, but I do not give a damn!

• wobble
    wobble

I think a JW indoctrination is a bar to understanding the deity of Christ, strangely one of the best explnations I have read came from a Christadelphian,and they don't believe in the Trinity as presented in the creeds.

If I can find the quote I will post it later,but I find quite often debates about the trinity are more about semantics,the difficulty being we are only able to use anthropomorphisms to descibe the spirit persons and so what do we mean by this or that?

One thing I am clear on is that just because someone believes in the trinity this does not make him a pagan or a demon,and his thoughts are worth listening to.

Love

Wobble

• Morgana
    Morgana

Having some background in philosophy (epistemology), especially Kant's teachings of the "thing as it is" and its "appearance", I can accept the concept of the Trinity in the same sense I accept that "water" appears in different forms - there is ice, there is liquid water, and there is steam. That's how we perceive "water", how it appears to us depending upon circumstances and our current way of looking at it, but underneath there is the essentially unknown and unknowable "water as it really is".

BTW, I also like parakeet's answer...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit