LURKING JW: Thinking of leaving? Learn from my experience.

by SnakesInTheTower 36 Replies latest jw friends

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

"Mental wondering in the wilderness"... uh oh.... it's a long post from Snakes.... lol

Yep... I think that is the best way to describe where I am at in life right now.

If you have read my past posts (mostly in the Private Section) you know some of my history as a life-long (now former) Witness.

I have been away from the JW religion, for all intents and purposes, since Dec. 06, though it was not until Sept 07 that I stopped attending meetings. I have been "inactive" long enough now that I would no longer be counted in the offical annual YB/WT tally. So basically, for the last 2 years plus, I have lived without the "WT-structure" of my life that I have had for as long as I can remember. It's a scary place at first and can be for awhile.

Since leaving, I realize how few friends I really had while in the fantasy world of Jehovah's Witnesses. I had lots of contact with many JWs, but as far as being involved in their lives socially or they in mine, I was an outcast even in that world. Though surrounded by people in the Organization almost every single day, I was alone and did not know it. And the few Witnesses that I thought were "true" friends scattered like cockroaches when the lights are turned on. Being "marked" (officially or not) will do that to your Witness friends...as if you are DF.

I guess I should have known better. I had to fight for every step up the "Theocratic Ladder" I ever took because I did not fit the image of "Spiritual Man" that others had. So while I did go through all the steps expected of a male publisher in the Watchtower Organization (aux pio, reg pio, temp bethel, MS, elder, even an MTS grad), I never quite fit into the Witness world. Of course, since I was raised as a JW from age 4 on, I also have never fit into the "worldly" scene either. I have a huge learning curve on the social front.

Now that I am away from the fantasy of DisneyWatchtowerWorld, "alone" does not begin to describe where I am at now. I am fortunate to have a couple of close real life friends that keep me from losing my sanity completely (including real life friends I met here on JWN). But for day-to-day life, I am not around people very much. Unlike the average job where you go somewhere and interact with the same group of co-workers regularly, I do not report regularly to an office, I work in the field on my own. However, my interactions with other humans while working is brief (being a bill collector is not good for building friendships).

I started a new semester at the college yesterday but I am very much out of my element (socially) there too. I am often twice the age of my fellow students and even younger than many of the instructors, People don't really know how to take me. Just like Dubville. So I just mind my business and go to class and get out.

Lately I seem to get pissed off for stupid reasons. I challenge people often, refusing to accept that "things have to be a certain way because it has always been". I have taken on a "I don't give a shit" attitude lately. This, of course, does not get me any nominations for Mr. Popularity. I have done this at work and at school. I didn't lose my job at work surprisingly (after a recent pissing contest with a manager). At school the instructors and admin compliment me on intellect (though in reality my IQ is only average, apparently I just work harder to make up for being an older student). These same school personnel shake their head at my utter lack of diplomacy (ie, I don't do well with politics in any area of life).

I realized on reflection that I have been this way my entire life. Some days I feel like I am going to unravel at any moment, skating on the thin line between reality and insanity. Many days I am so mentally tired that I don't want to get up ...but lying in bed is not my style... I started to go to work today and then decided to just chuck it. (I have that option in a limited way, I make my own schedule, but I make commission wages only).

I had a friend recently suggest I need therapy. While I do not disagree with this assessment, our current health system in the US does not provide such therapy without substantial cost. I do have health insurance, but the deductible is so high (and does not begin to cover what I may need mentally) that I may as well not have insurance. And the doctor I inherited (after my last doc moved away) just wants to peddle pharmaceuticals on me and collect copays, no matter what the problem.

Because of the nature of my job, I work when most people are doing social things (weekends) and go to school when most people work. So trying to find opportunities to find a new social circle has been limited. The bar scene is not my thing, I don't drink much. It's a commuter college, so there is not much going on campus. So what do I do about it? Plow myself in school, finish this summer, look to move away from the "scene of the crime" (the area I grew up) and start over. New life, new job. No one knowing I was ever a Witness.

And hopefully a new mental outlook.

So why did I post this here? Certainly not for pity. Maybe to vent a little, my own little personal therapy session. Hell, that's all those pscyh docs do any way...let you talk. But mosly I posted this as a warning to current Witnesses. (And I decided this post to the Public section so that lurking Witnesses can read this.)

If you are currently an active Witness but thinking of walking away from the Organization, understand that if you leave that you need to be prepared to go through a rough road. Have a support systemin place BEFORE you walk away. Make some "worldly" friends at work or somewhere;, find a therapist if you can; get close to non-JW family...people that you may have looked down on before...people you can talk with....you will need all of them and more to get you through the mental anguish that follows you...especially if you were raised as a JW. It's harder to do after you leave. If you don't you end up being in a "no man's land" for a time. The more time you have invested as a JW, the harder it may be.

People who were as involved as I was in the Watchtower Organization do not just get to "walk away" from the Organization. "Something" must be wrong. The rank and file witnesses can smell it as surely as the smell of death (and that is a smell you never forget) and run the other way.

Thanks for the therapy session. Bill my insurance company.... but don't hold your breath for payment.

Snakes (of the "not quite right" Sheep Class)

PS...feel free to toss rocks. I won't take it personally. The Organization beat me down, I can only go up now.

• crapola
    crapola

Dear Snakes

I'm sorry you've had such a hard time. I'm sort of in the same situation. I've been away from meetings for about a year and a few months and I to lost who I thought were friends. And it really does get lonely. I am blessed with my kids who are also out and we support each other. I hope things get better for you in the future.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

crapola..

You are lucky that you have family out with you and supporting you. I have only a mom who is a JW and she lives out of state. A couple of distant cousins that live locally are inactive dubs. My two younger brothers, who also live in different states, were never baptized, thankfully. Almost no relatives (JW or not) living around here. My family tree is as stunted as my social circle.

It has been harder than I allowed myself to believe. Accepting what was and what is now are the first steps to recovery when leaving the Organization. I thought I could do that the way I do everything else......bullheaded without help..... not so much.

Thanks for the encouragement.

Snakes ()

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I feel your pain Snakes, it's a rough road. I left with my immediate family (husband and kids), have a few friends that try to understand and some great coworkers and it is "still" very difficult. Maybe you need a vacation? I went back to school as an adult and when graduation got closer I kind of went through a funk too. A new career and a change of scenery may be just what the doctor ordered. Keep us posted, feel free to vent. I bet it will help too.

• LDH
    LDH

Snakes,

Can I suggest something? Thanks for posting this first of all.

Secondly if you live near a University which has psychology degrees, there is more than likely a student who would love to case study you, and even though they couldn't give you advice, might be able to ask some questions that would help you.

I wish you the best.

PS come to Modern Chat, Jim Knapp who is an ex-jw and a licensed therapist, has sessions for $10.

Anyone that's interested.

PM me for the address.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

ldh...

I will give it some thought. I live in an area with some major medical schools and universities. I am trying to keep stuff off of official medical records. Once you get a mental health visit in your medical jacket, it haunts you...jobs, insurance, etc. HIIPA is not effective for confidentiality, no matter what the law is.

I have a cousin (not a dub) that has a Bachelors in Pscyhology and a Masters in counselor education. I used to work for him, maybe he can point me in the right direction. I was trying to avoid involving relatives, but we are not close family.

Another friend who was my fitness trainer and former co-worker some time ago is also a non-denominational preacher. We used to have some nice discussions when I first left the JWs. He has had some experience in cult-exit counseling (including one family of Witnesses I know), but his discussions, while not pushy, still tend toward the "Christian" perspective that I no longer buy into. We talk occasionally...but I think I need something more clinical and less church.

Snakes ()

• flipper
    flipper

SNAKES- It really is hard to get a new start after leaving the witnesses . Hang in there my friend . It takes time. Just know that lots of us care on the board here. We PMed you . Check it out. Take care, Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Good advice for those who are thinking of leaving. Things will get better for you when you graduate, move away and start a new career.

• Mrs. Fiorini
    Mrs. Fiorini

You said, "My family tree is as stunted as my social circle." Do you feel open to having a greater relationship with your non JW brothers? Rebuilding those family ties might give you a greater sense of connectedness and belonging that you lost upon leaving the WT. Just a thought.

Some other ideas I'll throw out for you to take or leave as you see fit:

Between work and school you are probably pretty busy. But do you have any time for community service? Volunteering in the community (at a food bank, homeless shelter, school, the possibilities are endless) would be a way to connect with others and make a difference in their life. It could also help you feel more valuable to your community and give you a greater sense of purpose. And it may lead to meeting new friends.

If you can find a way to get some therapy, it could really help. As I'm sure you're aware, being in a cult has a significant impact on one's life. And so is leaving it. I got counseling around the time I left the WT and it was very helpful to me in processing that experience. You might be able to find a therapist that works on a sliding scale.

I have found that living in a town, at least temporarily, where I don't have family, former JW friends, etc. is a freeing experience. You don't constantly have to look over your shoulder or get judged by them for the choices you make in your life. For me, I felt freer to grow as a person and figure out who I was and how I wanted to live. This has it's limits though. One can't run away from one's life by moving (though it's been tried).

Best wishes to you and good luck.

PS - I went to college as an older student, too. It did feel awkward, especially at first. But I found that I was a better student than I would have been right out of high school. The experiences I had living life helped me understand what I was learning better. It was harder to get in the habit of doing all that reading though.

• yadda yadda 2
    yadda yadda 2

Thanks for your posting your experience. A lot of it sounded so much like my own experience. I've also struggled to make friends in the world.

My advice is to never, ever, tell anyone that you used to be a JW. They will always look at you sideways after that. It doesn't get sympathy.

And join a club...learn how to dance, join toastmasters, join a sports team, join a language group. Whatever it takes, get yourself out there and mingle and BE NICE and friendly. People are all the same...they enjoy being with friendly, kind, considerate, non-aggressive people. Follow this simple advice and new friends will soon start coming.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit