Young elder dies in Northern Minnesota

by HockeyMullet 23 Replies latest jw friends

• HockeyMullet
    HockeyMullet

This guy was a pretty good friend when I was a jovie. Haven't talked to him for years, and find this in the obits in the paper. He was a great guy. Not your typical elder. Sad to hear he died. He knew a lot of people. Maybe some here knew him.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/event/obituary/id/109559

Aaron James Callen, 38, of Meadowlands, Minn, passed away on Monday, Jan. 12, 2009 from complications due to prolonged illness.

He was born on March 16, 1970 to Janet “Jacky” and Clarence Callen in Duluth.

He married Patricia D’Anza on Sept 5, 1992 in Meadowlands. He spent his younger years logging with his father and his brothers, C. Callen & Sons Logging. His favorite times in his life were playing cards, sledding, and listening to music with his daughters, playing the drums, four-wheeling, snowmobiling, and volunteering his time to comfort others with the good news of God’s Kingdom. At 19 years of age he served as a member of the Order of Special Full-Time Service at the then Headquarters of Jehovah’s Witnesses in New York. He served as an elder in the Meadowlands Congregation of Jehovah’s Witnesses until his death. He and his wife volunteered to build Kingdom Halls and Branch Offices of Jehovah’s Witnesses abroad. He loved and treasured all of his friends and family. He valued the help and support of his friends at the CN railroad.

He deeply appreciated the care of his physicians, Dr. Kirk Bernadino, and Dr. Bruce Knutsen, and the nurses on the 7th and 9th floors of St. Mary’s Hospital.

He was preceded in death by his grandfathers, Helmer Callen and Russell Cragin; three cousins, Bobby Dalton, Tracey and Gregory Hansen.

He is survived by his wife, Pattie; two daughters, Nicolette and Aliyah, both at home; his parents, Janet “Jacky” and Clarence Callen of Meadowlands; a sister, Becki (Warren) Koski of Hibbing; three brothers, David (Teresa) Callen of Manassas, VA, Jason and Nathan Callen both of Eveleth; maternal grandmother, Cecilia Cragin of Oliver, WIS., and paternal grandmother, Anna Callen of Meadowlands; mother and father-in-law, Dan and Stella D'Anza of Frostproof, Fla.; brother-in-law, Michael (Judy) D'Anza of Cotton; sister-in-law, Christine D'Anza of Ely; several aunts, uncles, cousins, five nephews and one niece.

VISITATION: 5 to 7 p.m. Friday in Williams-Lobermeier Funeral Home. 3208 West 3rd St. Funeral service 2 p.m. Saturday in the Duluth Kingdom Hall Of Jehovah’s Witnesses. 4602 West Arrowhead Rd. Burial at Meadowlands Cemetery.

• sspo
    sspo

Did not know him but i do know Dan his father in law in Florida.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Very sad. Don't know him but in 1963 I spent time at a Witness owned and run logging camp in Meadowlands. The guys who owned the camp lived in Cloquet. They spent M-F at the camp and went back to Cloquet weekends. They had an old Swede living at the cabin full time and he cooked for them and cared for the camp in exchange for a neat place to live.

Loren Peterson from Chisago City took me up there one weekend and we stayed there two nights. That old Swede guy made coffee and started the wood stove in the morning. We must have been there in December. It was cold. It was deer hunting season and I wend deer hunting with the guys but I just had a camera. I still have the pictures I took on that trip. I was18 and I was living in Minneapolis, sharing an apartment, with Howard Kluender from Isanti at the time.

I have good memories from those times.

• HockeyMullet
    HockeyMullet

Did not know him but i do know Dan his father in law in Florida.

Big D played a big part in my realization that the "truth" was a bunch of crap. Him and his wife appointed themselves the morality police in meadowlands. I have nothing good to say about them.

• brothersgrimm69
    brothersgrimm69

aaron was a good man and a dear friend till he let his faith cloud his decisions about friends and family. he lost out we all did. things will never change for all of us who choose to see the light and have the courage to leave our friends and family behind. what a pathetic life they all live for the love of yhwh!

• rebel8
    rebel8

welcome, brothersgrimm! (creative username too )

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

"Loren Peterson from Chisago City"

Dude no way! Loren Peterson is my dad.

• garybuss
    garybuss

You wrote: "Dude no way! Loren Peterson is my dad."

Way far out! Is he still alive? He'd be about 65 or 66 now. My experience with him was all good. I haven't seen him since '62 or early '63. I think he'd remember me.

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

Yes he is still alive and doing really well, in fact I was just up at the farm and saw him yesterday. His sister June just passed on in Jan. I'm quite lucky that I never got baptised so I am quite close to my famley.

I'm going to see him again this week and will ask him about that weekend if you don't mind?

• garybuss
    garybuss

Glad he's alive and well. I remember June. I double dated with her and Howard and Kathy Kluender. Yes, ask your dad if he remembers me. I have the pictures to prove we were up in Meadowlands:-)

All my experiences with Loren were good. Nice guy! If he's still a Witness, he just might not like me now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit