I wanted to scream at the Elder Sunday morning "you are a lying !!!!!!"

by TooBad TooSad 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TooBad TooSad
    TooBad TooSad

My wife wanted to go visit some friends at another Kingdom Hall so I tagged along

to keep her happy. The elder giving the "public" talk brought up the 1975 myth.

He said, as he looked around the audience, "it looks like there are not a lot of brothers

and sisters here who were Witnesses like I was in the late 1960's. During that time

there was a lot of speculation about 1975. Many Witnesses read too much into what

the Society printed and in fact many sold their homes and quit their jobs because the

they thought the end was coming in 1975. Now we know that the Society never said

that the end was coming in 1975" At this point my blood began to boil because this

is a very sore subject for me because I bought the 1975 teaching hook line and sinker.

The elder continued "now the brothers who sold their homes and pioneered may have

appeared to be overly zealous but were they harmed? No, the served Jehovah full time

and put their trust in him. So because these brothers assumed the end was coming in

1975 it did not hurt them. There are times when the Society makes mistakes but they

are only human, we are not like the "other Church" where their leader is infallible"

I was ready to stand up and scream "you are lying" but I know what the consequences

of that would have been.

In looking around the audience I would estimate that there were about 15 out of 100

that were Witnesses in the early 1970's who expierenced the 1975 frenzy. In another

10 to 20 years the "stay alive till 75" generation will be dead and gone. Then 1975

will be just like another year in WTBTS history like 1914, 1918, and 1925. Witness alive

in that time period that they were going to see the end of the world and now they are

all nearly all dead. "The millions now living will never die" did die. Modern day Witnesses

know a little about those dates and what they believed back then, but today just shrug

it off and believe that now the end is near just like they were led to bleive in 1925.

Concerning the WTBTS teaching of 1975 never happening I always keep a little clip of the

5/22/69 Awake in my desk. Here is what it says and tell me if you think that they were

teaching in 1969 that the end was eminent. "If you are a young person, you also need

to face the fact that you will never grow old in this present system of things........all evidence

in fullillment of Bible prophecy indicates that this corrupt system is due to end in a few

years........as a young person you will never fulfill any carreer that this system offers.

If you are in high school and thinking of a colledge education, it means at least four, perhaps

six of eight more years to graduate into a specialized career. But where will this system of

things be by that time? It will be well on the way toward its finish, if not actually gone!"

40 years ago I believed and taught that crap. I gave up a college education because the

end was so near. Now I am old and will be retiring in a few years. Please if there are

any JW's wanna be's out there reading this or any lurkers who are not up over their head

in Watchtower doctrine, run away, get away as fast as you can before the WTBTS has its

teeth in you and your family because later on the only way out is death, disfellowshipment,

or the "fade". The fade is what I am in and it can take years to accomplish and even after

several years of not being associated and some Witness finds out that you were a Witness

you will have elders knocking on your door.

TooBad TooSad

• Perry
    Perry

The elder continued "now the brothers who sold their homes and pioneered may have

appeared to be overly zealous but were they harmed? No, the served Jehovah full time

and put their trust in him. So because these brothers assumed the end was coming in

1975 it did not hurt them.

My uncle sold his house and small business because of the 1975 teaching. Later he became an alcoholic and was repeatedly disfellowshipped and re-instated. Apparently, he lost his faith in the organization but was unable to form a biblical worldview. He died a wretch.... none of my relatives even went to his funeral, not even his kids from what I understand. I would say that he was "harmed".

I was 12 years old in 1975. I started believing that I would be dead when that year arrived as early as 5-7 years old. The murderous Paradise book showed me how I would die. When I found myself still alive at age 13 and 14 I realized that my family had most likely been hijacked by an insideous cult. Of course being repeatedly beaten for sinning and showing disrespect to the WT didn't exactly help my development.

I smoked as much marijuana as I could get my hands on to medicate until I was old enough to quit school in the ninth grade and take a part-time traveling job. Sixteen years old with an eighth grade education is how I entered the world because of the 1975 doctrine. Alone, no God, no worldview, no family....just a bag smoke .

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings TB TS,

I wanted to scream at the Elder Sunday morning "you are a lying !!!!!!"

To bad you didn't. Perhaps screaming may have caught the attention of the mind-numb zombie crowd just stitting there slurping it all up at the trough.

Dismembered

• foreword
    foreword

I hear ya, that's why I don't go anymore I feel like screaming all the time. Aggravates the hell out of me. Good luck with the fade though, if you can bear it.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Yep. It's definitly not worth the stress of going. I absolutely would have to speak up when I heard this sort of BS if I was forced to go again.

• Quandry
    Quandry

1975 it did not hurt them. There are times when the Society makes mistakes but they

are only human, we are not like the "other Church" where their leader is infallible"

How would he know if a person who sold his home and business were harmed. Bet he didn't sell his home, did he? I'll bet those who sold did so without fixing up the house first to get the most money. And those who quit work or sold their business-what then? If they used the proceeds of the house and business to live off of for many months, they were left to start over completely, with no job or retirement, and maybe no place to live.

If "we are not like the 'other church' where their leader is infallible" how come a person can find himself disfellowshipped for not agreeing to every teaching?

I haven't gone to a KHall in over three years, but if I did and this was said, no, I don't think I could remain in my seat. It would all come out, and it wouldn't be pretty.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

I believed too

'Till I left 5 years later

Then I only believed some

Finally at 53 years old

I believe NONE OF IT

NOW

My load is light

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

The Washtowel is not infallible? OK, so what happens if they make a blatant mistake and we refuse to follow it right into the trap? I suppose we would be forgiven, or even thanked, for catching such a mistake that they obviously did not see. And they would objectively examine the issue, correcting the problem.

Anyone that believes that they are excusable in making mistakes ought to just try the above. And see what happens--are you allowed to stay in good standing for not believing the blatant errors that the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger keep on making, or will they haul you to the back and label you apostate?

• musky
    musky

Great Post

I wonder why the Watchtower did not print a article before 1975 that tried to help the "over zealous" brothers by stating something to the affect that some are understanding that 1975 will be Armageddon and they need to change there thinking.

The comment from the elder that the society is only human and make mistakes is a common one. Claim to be a messenger from God but if were wrong well, we make mistakes like everybody else.

• WuzLovesDubs
    WuzLovesDubs

You should go back and give him a copy of that article they WROTE "Why are you looking forward to 1975?" Or print it out and mail it to him. Seriously. Why should you let that slide?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit