ANYONE actually understand the 'Revelation Book'? ?

by Latte 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Latte
    Latte

I'm interested to know how people felt about studying this book. I know that they are studying it at the moment in the UK.

Anyone feel that the book actually made any sense....what with all the symbolic stuff..etc..etc

As a child they were studying the 'Babylon' book. Oh my...was that BORING for me back then!

Latte

x

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I've heard that it helps to drop acid before reading the book.

• Latte
    Latte

LOL Elsewhere! Guess it would make more sense then!

Wonder what they were smoking when they wrote the stuff!

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It's a book filled with nonsense; it's understandable only insofar as you understand what they were trying to do. It wasn't a commentary on Revelation, or an attempt to interpret what the author of Revelation had to say (for that, see Aune's excellent two-volume commentary, or almost any good exegetical commentary by scholars). The Climax book was a thoroughgoing exercise in using the book of Revelation as a cipher for Watchtower history (or rather, a very distorted view of Watchtower history, particularly the events of 1918 and 1919). It tried to force 20th-century concepts and events into a text that has nothing to do with them. It was an exercise in almost pure eisegesis (reading things into a text), rather than exegesis (deriving meaning from a text), which is how commentaries ought to be done. Because the vehicle chosen to "prophesy" the Watchtower organization is a rather poor fit (requiring arbitrary adjustments of what Revelation says to make things fit), we are left with ludicrous "interpretations" like the seven trumpet blasts foretelling seven "proclamations" adopted at Watchtower conventions in the 1920s.

• Latte
    Latte

Leolaia, Many thanks for your thoughts!

we are left with ludicrous "interpretations" like the seven trumpet blasts foretelling seven "proclamations" adopted at Watchtower conventions in the 1920s.

This is just what come to my mind when i think of this book....trumpet blasts...which nobody really heard did they? As if God would consider their (assemblies well attended granted) talks a 'trumpet blast' that everyone could hear!

I think I could of made more sense of it if I'd had some Alcohol back then! LOL

Time is so precious I'm just glad the group is no longer.......

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    I've heard that it helps to drop acid before reading the book.

Like John did before he wrote it.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday

It depends I think if you just agree with whatever's said in the book and whatever they draw as a conclusion to what symbolizes what, then it's easy to understand. If you actually think about it and the symbols, then it's a bit harder.

• still_in74
    still_in74

Leolaia is spot on. The Rev Climax book is pure bollocks

I have posted a couple topics on various chapters as we studied this last. It takes exceedingly low levels of scrutiny to quickly see how sad and pathetic the author(s) of this atrocity really are.

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Thanks all

Leo

Ijust ordered David Aune's

3 volume commentary on Revelation

Thanks for the insight

Should be interesting

• yknot
    yknot

No no no..... they can't be studying that in the UK..... where is the UNITY! Everyone is suppose to be studying the Live With Jehovah's Day in Mind book!... until the end-ish of this month and then we are all suppose to submit ourselves wholly to the Keep in Ted's Laws book!!!... how else can we be 'fitly united in mind'????????

My thoughts on the Rev Book are ..... Bro. Elder tried to harmonize then WTS teaching with Revelation. Of course shortly after publication, we joined the UN, the Berlin Wall fell and it truely became as obsolete as the Revelation commentary of the Finished Mystery !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit