Just read the God Delusion- JWs get a mention!!

by Kudra 42 Replies latest jw experiences

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Evolution isn't the only things they f*** up on. The whole concept of "original sin" is wrong. It's just God's way of creating a problem where none should exist, and then supplying the "solution". Invariably, the "solution" involves taking a good portion of the value of our lives to Himself to execute it. Which makes God a thief.

True, Jesus died. But his death in no way undoes any "original sin" (especially since there is no such thing as original sin). Rather, Jesus died trying (unsuccessfully) to save mankind from stagnation under the crushing weight of external rulership. And Paul unintentionally provided the early Catholic church the tools needed to pass on the "original sin" scam, which did enrich the churches.

Every time I hear about how we are all born sinners, it makes me want to puke.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Yes, I was happy to see Dawkins poke the holes in the Creation book. I don't agree with Dawkins on everything, and he doesn't shun me as a result. Can't say the same for JWs, lol... I agree with Robert7, I am not a staunch evolutionist, yet I don't think that Creationism answers anything at all. It creates more questions than it can answer, and then answers these new questions by saying that it's all a mystery and "God works in mysterious ways".

I am reading Sagan's The Demon Haunted World, and just read the page where he highlights JWs false prophecies... very nice to see that JWs are in good company making false predictions that do not go unnoticed...

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    Because we start with different presuppositions. These are things that are assumed to be true, without being able to prove them. These then become the basis for other conclusions. All reasoning is based on presuppositions (also called axioms). This becomes especially relevant when dealing with past events.

The fossil layer is quite clear, if not look at observed evidence of speciation. Evolution is not based on a presupposition, it's based on observable, verifiable evidence. There's no question about common descent, the fossil layer agrees, our DNA agrees. If you don't believe me look at www.pubmed.com and you'll see the chromosomal evidence in our very DNA. Not only that our fetal stages agree with common descent which is evolution. If you have a problem with the evidence, disprove it, show findings of fossils just appearing, all their features and so forth just suddenly coming about. Show animals with completely different DNA than animals that science say evolved from them. Find one reptile with nipples, find something out of order to disprove them.

My presupposition is that we are all the result of being created - based on what I see all around me - everything is "made", life comes from life. These are observable "facts".

You're confusing evolution with abiogenesis. Evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis, this just shows a lack of education on your part. Evolution is the theory of common descent, we have also observed speciation, if you don't believe in an animal's body changing to fit it's environment then I encourage you to look up the italian wall lizard and it's introduction to Croatia. Finally about life coming from life, you need to look at Stanley Miller's expiriments from the University of Chicago. There he had observable,verifiable and duplicatable evidence that organic material can be generated from non-organic material. Not only that RNA has been proven to replicate in high water temperature which can also be observed, verified and duplicated. The evidence for life coming from non-life is there, you just haven't read the expiriments. Unless you're thinking a horse will pop out of thin air, in which case I will say that you have no idea how evolution works and you need to take an entry level science class to understand what evolution is.

All of us "including Evolutionists" agree that the pencil was "made" by someone, by a human (or group of humans) with intelligence. The pencil did not come about on its own. But, in the same breath evolutionists want us to believe that DNA, the atom, neurons and entire Galaxies are a product of merely the passing of time with no pre-design, no intelligence.

First off there's no such thing as an evolutionist. There are scientists that believe that life came here from abiogenesis, there are some that don't. However nearly all of them believe in common descent which is what evolution is. Higher forms of life evolved from lower forms of life. If you have issue with the abiogenesis theory, please go to a science lab and prove that amino acids CAN NOT be generated the way Stanley Miller did in 1953. Prove that RNA does not spontaneously replicate in conditions. And for God's sake learn the difference between evolution and abiogenesis because you're only affirming Dawkins statement that you're ignorant on the subject. If you can disprove those two points scientifically, with undeniable proof then the scientific community will embrace your findings and you'll see all scientists will believe in intelligent design. Otherwise don't bitch about their methods if you don't even know the expiriment findings that lead them to believe it nor can you disprove their findings.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

You couldn't be more wrong Scotsman. Some of us are willing to admit when we are wrong. I was raised a creationist, and I truly believed it. It's only when the FACTS were shown to me that I interpreted them properly and threw away my presuppositions. It was hard for me to face the fact that I was so wrong. It's quite embarrasing. But I did it.

Humility is the key to finding out what really is true. Your stubborn hold on your presuppositions are blinding you.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Tuesday & Missing Link

There I was, at work just minding my own business and I thought to myself - wonder whats happening on JWN this week - I will have a wee look.

Jees - so glad I did!!!! NOT. LOL.................

I rarely post here now but "thought" this was an interesting subject.

Missing Link - you said ""It's only when the FACTS were shown to me that I interpreted them properly""

How do you KNOW they were facts? How do you KNOW that you interpreted them properly?

I go back to my original point - its all about opinions and I am fine with that.

You were not shown FACTS - you were shown information that someone has concluded is fact - in other words - someone elses opinion. Once again - i am fine with that, we are all the same.

Tuesday, you said this - ""Evolution is not based on a presupposition, it's based on observable, verifiable evidence.""

REALLY???????? Most Evolutionists would not even agree with you on this one!!!

Tuesday, you said - ""Evolution has nothing to do with abiogenesis, this just shows a lack of education on your part.""

No respect for others, or there opinions - you need to work on that! So what if I dont know everything on the subject - neither do you!

Tuesday, you said - ""Otherwise don't bitch about their methods"

No one is bitching about anything - did you read my comments.

I take it we all still agree that a pencil was made by an intelligent being?

No hard feelings folks - its all about opinions and this subject always gets a bit passionate.

I am now lifting my kilt up at the computer screen in a defiant gesture!!!!!!!!!

The Scotsman

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    REALLY???????? Most Evolutionists would not even agree with you on this one!!!

Again there's no such thing as Evolutionists. What exactly is unproved about evolution...note I said EVOLUTION and not ABIOGENESIS. Point out a Scientist in a Biological field that does not agree with Common Descent.

No respect for others, or there opinions - you need to work on that! So what if I dont know everything on the subject - neither do you!

I don't have respect for someone not agreeing with something when they're actually referring to a completely different thing. It's not that you don't know everything on the subject but you don't know the basic principle of what it is you're arguing against.

No hard feelings folks - its all about opinions and this subject always gets a bit passionate

No Evolution is not a matter of opinion. First Cause, sure I'll totally give you that. First cause is a matter of opinion. However evolution is absolutely verifiable and based in fact. Go to www.youtube.com/donexodus2 this has a series on what evolution is. You should watch this series, it also has undeniable proof for evolution. I don't care if you disagree with evolution, but have specifics, understand the subject you're talking about.

Lastly:

I take it we all still agree that a pencil was made by an intelligent being?

Of course because a pencil is not a living thing. Evolution only applies to living organisms. This isn't even comparing apples to oranges, this is comparing apples to plastic oranges. But since I already pointed out that you had no idea about the subject you were talking about I just didn't acknowledge it. And to add your example has nothing to do with evolution it is about abiogenesis.

• The Scotsman
    The Scotsman

Tuesday -

Your missing the point - for gods sake!!!!!!!!!!

First lets stop all of this garbo about there not being any Evolutionists etc etc and whether its a abiogenesis or Evolution!!!! Your merely playing with words.

To suggest that evolution is merely about living things is bull.

It boils down to one question - How did the universe get here? (Not, how did living things get here!)

Evolution is about the "origin" of everything - just as religion is about the origin of everything. - animate or inanimate.

You said - Of course because a pencil is not a living thing. Evolution only applies to living organisms. This isn't even comparing apples to oranges, this is comparing apples to plastic oranges.

Interesting -

The Atom is not living.

Galaxies are not living.

And yet both are governed by physical laws and clearly show design. (Merely my opinion by the way)

Also you qoute others and post links to "pro" evolution videos etc - hey we can all refer to information to back up our claims.

I am not a creationist by the way - and I also do not disagree with everything that Evolution has concluded.

I merely feel that a Creator caused it all to happen. God caused the big bang if you like.

Anyway their is not much point going on with this - I am set in my ways and so are you.

• MissingLink
    MissingLink

Evolution is about the "origin" of everything - just as religion is about the origin of everything. - animate or inanimate.

BZZZZ Wrong! Many people know that evolution is fact and still "believe" in a creator for the origin bit.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

Dawkins is a "sleeper cell". Beware of lies mixed with truth. Again this is a planned agenda being carried out.

• Tuesday
    Tuesday
    First lets stop all of this garbo about there not being any Evolutionists etc etc and whether its a abiogenesis or Evolution!!!! Your merely playing with words.

They're completely different theories that don't have much to do with each other at all. It's not playing with words. It's the difference between Algebra and Trigonomotry. They're completely different studies. You don't understand the difference between them that's the reason you think I'm "playing with words". Abiogenesis is the theory of how organic material was formed from inorganic material. Evolution is the theory of how smaller life forms evolved into larger ones. Where does your question come in to either of those theories?

To suggest that evolution is merely about living things is bull.

Actually it's the very definition of Evolution. Evolution is how living things EVOLVED. Smaller life forms into larger ones. Abiogenesis is how life evolved from non-life. It's Biology, study of living things. This is not hard to find, just go to www.dictionary.com and type in "evolution" you'll see the definition of it as:

" Biology . change in the gene pool of a population from generation to generation by such processes as mutation, natural selection, and genetic drift."

Hmmm... wow it would be really hard to change the gene pool of a population from generation to generation if the thing isn't alive and reproducing...wouldn't you say?

It boils down to one question - How did the universe get here? (Not, how did living things get here!)

That is a question of first cause, it has nothing to do with evolution. Evolution is the theory of how larger animals evolved from smaller life forms. It only deals with life when it's here. I can't express more how much you're confusing the issue here.

The Atom is not living.

It is not, it is the smallest piece of matter.

Galaxies are not living

The same could be said of Earth, it's not a living thing. However it has life on it.

And yet both are governed by physical laws and clearly show design. (Merely my opinion by the way)

Oh this is some sort of intelligent design argument. Scientific laws that you point to are from observed occurances. So of course they follow laws, if you walked around in a circle at 3 o'clock every day then I made a law stating that you MUST walk around in a circle at 3 o'clock every day, are you following a law? You're simply doing what you do, why you do it, who knows. That's a question of first cause. Also whether there's a designer or not is not a question of evolution, evolution is a question of how larger animals evolved from smaller animals. I don't know how I can make it much clearer to you. You're not arguing against evolution in the slightest, you're just saying things appear to have design. Many people simply say that's how particles group together based on positive and negative energy. Whether you want to say God put together that positive and negative energy with the materials is up to you, but don't say evolution didn't occur because it doesn't mention a creator in it's theory. This kind of stuff infuriates me because I hate people who just show complete ignorance of a subject at hand, if you want to argue against something read about it. Understand what it is before you go out and start making wild assumptions and accusations that have nothing to do with what you're arguing about. Seriously educate yourself on the subject, I don't see how you're not embarrassed.

Also you qoute others and post links to "pro" evolution videos etc - hey we can all refer to information to back up our claims.

The link I posted to the youtube channel was so you could educate yourself on what evolution is and what it isn't. It does have proof of evolution occuring on there, but it also gives an elementary basis of evolution. You're confusing alot of different things here. Life coming from non-life is Abiogenesis. To which you should be disproving the Miller-Urey expiriment to do so. First Cause is irrelevent to the whole conversation, you can believe anything caused the big bang or the conditions for life to emerge from the organic materials, whether it's God or the materials always existed. That has nothing to do with evolution, the theory that larger animals evolved from lower life forms.

I merely feel that a Creator caused it all to happen. God caused the big bang if you like.

No one has a problem with that. Most scientists are Christian, they feel a God had the foresight to use evolution to create life. The channel I pointed you to, www.youtube.com/donexodus2 is a theist as well. He just has videos to show evolution occured and it's undeniable.

Anyway their is not much point going on with this - I am set in my ways and so are you.

Yes, we are set. I took the time to read what evolution was and learned about it, I don't confuse the issue. You seem set to lump together theories that have nothing to do with each other and argue against the wrong principle. If you feel comfortable continually arguing against something you clearly don't know anything about go ahead.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit