Anecdotal evidence for atheism

by hamilcarr 50 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Yes I agree. Or I would simply say, if this means the same thing, it is harder to leave the Witnesses if you don't have another belief system (any belief system from Christianity to militant atheism to Mormonism for that matter) with which to oppose it and replace it.

Exactly. I don't have such a substitute set of beliefs and I feel that many on this board, like me, are struggling against the temptation to find such a hold. I hope that's just a temporary situation.

Mind you nothingness is perhaps a sort of belief system in iteself. I sometimes wonder about that. But even if it is it seems to me to lack the necessity to demonstrate Witnesses wrong.

Leads me to a basic related philosophical question: is the rejection of metanarratives itself a metanarrative.

If Jehovah's Witnesses are wrong, they are no more wrong than everyone else in my view.

Interesting point of view. Is it possible from a "nothingness" perspective to distinguish between more and less wrong metanarratives?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Not believing in something requires no faith.

I disagree. Agnosticism requires no faith since it makes no claims.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I reached out to God after attempting to kill myself and asked him to guide
    my life. I was sincere and really trusted him. I joined the JW's because I
    thought God guided me to them.
    Years later, I find out I was in a dangerous mind-control cult. Why would
    God allow someone who sincerely asks for help to join a cult? That is
    at least proof that God doesn't care.

Or perhaps that he gave you exactly what you needed in your life at that time.

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Or perhaps that he gave you exactly what you needed in your life at that time.

Anecdotal evidence for or against the existence of the divine can always be used in both directions. That's why it's no scientific evidence.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Leads me to a basic related philosophical question: is the rejection of metanarratives itself a metanarrative.

Well exactly, you take the words out my mouth. I wonder if you have read this old post on the subject, a Narkissos special:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/jw/friends/134324/1/Nothing

Interesting point of view. Is it possible from a "nothingness" perspective to distinguish between more and less wrong metanarratives?

I don't think so, because there is no objective criteria. But we can express an aesthetic preference I think. Then there is also the problem of ethics of course...

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Glenster, thanks for that excellent post!

An habitually bad-behaving unrepentant alleged Christian
    is a non-believer, not a bad Christian.

I am reading a biography of Benjamin franklin currently, and I agree with how he put it:

"A virtuous heretic shall be saved before a wicked Christian."

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    That's why it's no scientific evidence.

I never said it was. :-P

We find the meaning.

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    I never said it was. :-P

That's true. Sometimes you gave me the impression though that this non-scientific evidence could only be used to promote theism. I think it can also be used in favour of non-theism.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yeah my kind, who are prone to see meaninglessness everywhere may end up extinct, but at least we may have been right in our pessimistic view of the universe's ability to provide us with meaning.

I would argue that some people do not need external things or beings to create meaning in their lives. Sometimes living one's life to the full, while contributing positively to the universe, is an end in and of itself, regardless if there is a sky daddy making a list and checking it twice, finding out who's naughty or nice.

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

And who would want to perpetuate yet more existence in a meaningless world anyway?

I would. But, btw, who's talking about a meaningless world? What is meaning to you? I'm very glad my children won't have to go through what I've gone through: (lenghty discussions on the meaningless divine ).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit