The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnessees and Personal Study - A Commentary

by AllTimeJeff 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Re podcast and hardware; keep me posted and I'll help as best as I can. Be sure to have Skype installed on your computer too so that we can arrange a 'round-table' style chat. An inexpensive USB headset is also useful.

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

Good review. This article had quite an effect on me.

My buddy bonnzo mentioned how this article seems to directly contradict Acts 17:11 about the Beroeans. And there are other NT scriptures that appear to command Christians to test everything they hear and not to follow a man's interpretation of scripture. Some of my favorites are:

• 1 John 4:1: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.”

• 2 Cor. 13:5: “Keep testing whether you are in the faith, keep proving what you yourselves are."

• 1 Thess. 5:21: “Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.”

• John 4:24: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."

I don't see how a Christian can read these verses and still believe that he should unquestioningly follow a group of men.

• AllTimeJeff
        AllTimeJeff

My buddy bonnzo mentioned how this article seems to directly contradict Acts 17:11 about the Beroeans. And there are other NT scriptures that appear to command Christians to test everything they hear and not to follow a man's interpretation of scripture. Some of my favorites are:

• 1 John 4:1: “Beloved ones, do not believe every inspired expression, but test the inspired expressions to see whether they originate with God, because many false prophets have gone forth into the world.”

• 2 Cor. 13:5: “Keep testing whether you are in the faith, keep proving what you yourselves are."

• 1 Thess. 5:21: “Make sure of all things; hold fast to what is fine.”

• John 4:24: "God is a Spirit, and those worshiping him must worship with spirit and truth."

I don't see how a Christian can read these verses and still believe that he should unquestioningly follow a group of men.

I couldn't agree more. Unfortunately, if you read WT articles from 10,20 years or older, that encourage you to do this kind of study, you have to "keep up". Ridiculous. Whereas once you were allowed, no you can't. Unbelievable.

• BluesBrother
          BluesBrother

If I were a J W dealing with this, I would say that they only say that they do not endorse any outside study groups, they do not absolutely say that you must not study . An endorsement is a positive approval of something named, that is a lot different from simply not objecting to something.

The more experienced ones I know would not stop collecting Bible Study aids from all sources, even though it never opens their eyes. They just ignore the bits that do not support the WT.

• AllTimeJeff
          AllTimeJeff

Yes, since the GB teaches that anything secular that disagrees with current JW exegesis comes directly from Satan.

Unless it came from a 1920's WT or Studies in the Scriptures. They can't blame that on Satan..... Or can they????

• Farkel
          Farkel

AllTimeJeff,

:It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personal pursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. In the first century, the apostle Paul warned about getting involved in exhausting, time-consuming subjects, such as "genealogies, which end up in nothing, but which furnish questions for research rather than a dispensing of anything by God in connection with faith." (1 Tim. 1:3-7) All Christians should strive to "shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile."—Titus 3:9.

That is the biggest batch of red herrings I have ever seen.

"It is good to use thinking ability, just don't use your thinking ability personally!"

"Don't get involved in time-consuming subjects, which endup in nothing. Just let US get involved in time-consuming subjects which end up in nothing!"

"If there are any questions that might encourage research by you, they are NOT from God in connection with faith."

"Therefore, shun foolish questions, because for us, they are unProfitable."

If the material the WTS furnished was solid, then any questioning could be considered foolish; but since we know that what the WTS produces is idiotic, then ANY questioning of it would be sound.

Despite the clear scriptural command for Christians to "keep testing" their faith, the WTS explicitly forbids it. "Testing" means to examine ALL the evidence, not just the evidence that is offered by the one promoting a doctrine.

That fact alone and without any other evidence, makes them a dangerous Cult, with-a-capital-C.

Farkel

."
        • eyeslice
          eyeslice

I guess this is nothing new. I remember in the early/mid 70s a big clamp down on private groups getting together to study. I think with all the hype surrounding 1975 there was a danger that these 'private groups' could come up with their own understanding.

• Mickey mouse
          Mickey mouse

Thanks Jeff, I really enjoy reading your comments. Keep them coming!

Share this

Google+
        Pinterest
        Reddit