The Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnessees and Personal Study - A Commentary

by AllTimeJeff 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

First of all, I have WT Library through 2007 now. Thanks for that!

I am going to post the Question Box on this topic to read, then discuss. My comments in red, (or other assorted colors)

Also, I am still getting used to the editor on JWN, so if it is a little choppy, I apologize.

km9/07p.3QuestionBox

Question

? Does"thefaithful and discreet slave"endorse independent groups of Witnesses who meet together to engage in Scriptural research or debate?—Matt.24:45, 47.

Just as an aside, this is one of the most commented on teachings of JW's. The FD Slave does not exist. The FD Slave was NEVER consulted. This is all the Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses. However, since their is no scripture using any phrase or alluding to a central governing body, the Governing Body (GB) purposefully and cynically uses the phrase "faithful and discreet slave" so that they can throw in a scripture. One must take the largest of intellectual jumps to associate the "faithful and discreet slave" of Jesus words and apply that to any central body. Truly a self serving teaching.

No, it does not. And yet, in various parts of the world, a few associates of our organization have formed groups to do independent research on Bible-related subjects. Some have pursued an independent group study of Biblical Hebrew and Greek so as to analyze the accuracy of the NewWorldTranslation. Others explore scientific subjects related to the Bible. They have created Web sites and chat rooms for the purpose of exchanging and debating their views. They have also held conferences and produced publications to present their findings and to supplement what is provided at our Christian meetings and through our literature.

Ok, so they obviously say no to outside study. Here they simply describe situations that worry them. But consider, does the FD Slave/GB provide any material on the original Hebrew or Greek? Why be afraid of it if the NWT is accurate? (especially the 237 insertions of "Jehovah in the NT) Why especially be afraid of "Science", and the data on such things as the origin of life on earth, the Noachin flood, and similar stories found in the bible?

Throughout the earth, Jehovah’s people are receiving ample spiritual instruction and encouragement at congregation meetings, assemblies, and conventions, as well as through the publications of Jehovah’s organization. Under the guidance of his holy spirit and on the basis of his Word of truth, Jehovah provides what is needed so that all of God’s people may be "fitly united in the same mind and in the same line of thought" and remain "stabilized in the faith." (1 Cor. 1:10; Col. 2:6, 7) Surely we are grateful for Jehovah’s spiritual provisions in these last days. Thus, "the faithful and discreet slave" does not endorse any literature, meetings, or Web sites that are not produced or organized under its oversight.—Matt. 24:45-47.

Here is the 2nd reference to the "faithful and discreet slave". Remember, "Christ appointed them in 1919", they are in charge, that is the message their. Another reinforcement of GB authority.

They are trying not to come across as overbearing, so they promote themselves as being guided on holy spirit. Notice they don't say inspired, only guided, a distinction without a difference. This allows the GB the wiggle room to correct or change older teachings. Such corrections of mistakes are frequently called "new light".

While they say they aren't inspired, can anyone take any other implication from this but that they are saying that they alone speak for Jehovah?

We also note the underlying foundation that the GB cares about. Their version of "unity". This is another word for control. A lack of unity from the GB's point of view is anything introduced or questioned that doesn't meet their approval. Remember, the GB is all about answering only the questions that they raise.

It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news. However, no personal pursuit should detract from what Jesus Christ is accomplishing through his congregation on earth today. In the first century, the apostle Paul warned about getting involved in exhausting, time-consuming subjects, such as "genealogies, which end up in nothing, but which furnish questions for research rather than a dispensing of anything by God in connection with faith." (1 Tim. 1:3-7) All Christians should strive to "shun foolish questionings and genealogies and strife and fights over the Law, for they are unprofitable and futile."—Titus 3:9.

"It is commendable for individuals to want to use their thinking ability in support of the good news." Wow! What do you get out of this? An endorsement to think on your own? Not if the next sentence begins with "However.." Notice the clever implanting of ideas. What they are saying is that personal thinking ability using study groups and personal research detracts from what Jesus is accomplishing through.... "his congregation"??!! No congregation is involved in anything other then obeying the GB. Thus, what this is really saying is that 'personal reseach of any kind detracts from the indoctrination that the GB is accomplishing.' Nothing more, nothing less.

The scripture they use to support this does not discourage personal study at all. Paul specifically mentioned geneologies because that was a frequent topic of conversation among Jewish converts.

In the interest of fairness though to bible critics, one must take note of Paul's control issues as well. It has well been commented by many in the ex JW community that JW's resemble Paul far more then Jesus in their own exegesis. In addition to this, (and this is another topic) there is quite the wide rift in theology when you read the gospels of Jesus and compare them to Pauls writings. But I digress. The point of this is Pauls words do not discourage a study of the bible.

For those who wish to do extra Bible study and research, we recommend that they explore Insight on the Scriptures,"All Scripture Is Inspired of God and Beneficial," and our other publications, such as those that discuss the prophecies found in the Bible books of Daniel, Isaiah, and Revelation. These provide abundant material for Bible study and meditation, whereby we can be "filled with the accurate knowledge of [God’s] will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension, in order to walk worthily of Jehovah to the end of fully pleasing him as [we] go on bearing fruit in every good work and increasing in the accurate knowledge of God."—Col. 1:9, 10.

It should be clear that the GB does not provide study materials of the bible. It provides commentaries of the bible. There is a big difference. JW's don't teach you about the bible, they teach you only how to view it. While all religions do this, most also provide source material and scholarly works. JW's do not. Most scholarly works almost always contradict translations and exegesis of the GB's and the New World Translation. No wonder the GB does not want their flocks to read this scholarship. Responsible scholars for example, would reject out of hand the insertion of "Jehovah" in Col 1:9,10. That suits only Jehovah's Witnesses, AND IT DOESN'T BELONG THERE. IT IS INTELLECTUAL DISHONESTY. Not that JW's are allowed to research this, they can only take the GB's word for it.

The GB DO forbid groups of JW's getting together in person or on the internet. They do not specifically say here that scholarly works are frowned upon. The GB instead says "If you want to study, ONLY USE OUR MATERIALS". It should be noted that violations of both of these precepts put one in line for judicial action.

Remember their views:

*** Questions From Readers

Why have Jehovah’s Witnesses disfellowshipped (excommunicated) for apostasy some who still profess belief in God, theBible, and Jesus Christ?

***w86 4/1 p.31 Questions From Readers***Obviously, a basis for approved fellowship with Jehovah’s Witnesses cannot rest merely on a belief in God, in the Bible, in Jesus Christ, and so forth. The Roman Catholic pope, as well as the Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury, professes such beliefs, yet their church memberships are exclusive of each other. Likewise, simply professing to have such beliefs would not authorize one to be known as one of Jehovah’s Witnesses.

Approved association with Jehovah’s Witnesses requires accepting the entire range of the true teachings of the Bible, including those Scriptural beliefs that are unique to Jehovah’s Witnesses.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Jeff..I like your posts but the printed words on this one are frigg`n Tiny!!..LOL!!...I have no doubt others would like to read it too..Can you make the printing Larger?..............................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

I have no idea why..But..The words came up larger the second time I went into your thread..Never mind!..LOL!!..............Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

I had to do severe editing. Spell check went beserk, and my use of red on my commentary was difficult. But I got it moderately readable now. I hope.

• startingover
    startingover

Great commentary Jeff!

(as I set here shaking my head in disbelief that I ever bought into any of that FDS nonsense)

• passwordprotected
    passwordprotected

Great post, as always, Jeff. Think about that podcast!

• VM44
    VM44

Why does The Watcthower always emphasizes the negative aspects of a subject?

That is not a very helpful article, unless they are trying to instruct the JWs to only use Watchtower materials for study.

• lawrence
    lawrence

What a joke - they refer to study of their prophetic commentaries as:

whereby we can be "filled with the accurate knowledge of [God’s] will in all wisdom and spiritual comprehension,

Old light, replaced by new light, replaced by newer light, ammended by a ruthless gang of four-flushers and fools.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Why does The Watcthower always emphasizes the negative aspects of a subject? That is not a very helpful article, unless they are trying to instruct the JWs to only use Watchtower materials for study.

In my view, that is the whole thrust of this. Just before I left, the elders got a letter talking about future changes to the Public Talk. (cutting it to 30 minutes) In this letter, it discussed the introduction of outside, scholarly material that a brother may have come up with on his own. From 2006 on, only WT/JW references were to ever be used. The outline was to be strictly followed. You can come up with your own conclusions as to why. I know in my area that a lot of elders took great pride in the use of non JW references in their talks. Of course, non sanctioned study groups are only negative to the GB authority structure. Those who have left would argue that getting together and discussing bible passages, bible scholarship and the like are quite positive for the individual. Of course, individuality is also negative to the GB authority structure. They are so cynical in what they do, it makes me ill.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff
    Think about that podcast!

I am. I will do it, its just a matter of a few techie items at my disposal....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit