Guys, how do you get a very close shave?

by asilentone 29 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

I don't shave. Shaving ranks up there with the things I hate to do most.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

Try growing a beard

• Vinny
    Vinny

What Happened said;.."I'm going against the warm water advice. My dad had a tough beard like me. He said to use the coldest water possible so your hair stands up. When finished rinse off with warm water. The hair follicle relaxes and the hairs goes down. It's uncomfortable at times but it works"

But if I try just cold and nothing else, I feel PAIN when shaving.

I forgot about that tip. It's so close this way that I only shave every other day.

• cameo-d
  • poppers
    poppers

This reminds me of when I was going through infantry training in the Marine Corps. There was a Marine who went to morning formation without shaving. They made him "dry shave" in front of the rest of us - oh, he was "allowed" to prep his beard first with Listerine. That was the last time he made that mistake.

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

As for me and my house, we use aloe vera gel.

Not the nasty dyed, perfumey stuff with lidocaine and/or alcohol in it, just pure aloe vera gel.

http://www.amazon.com/Fruit-Earth-Crystal-Clear-alcohol/dp/B000N5S0RC/ref=pd_bxgy_hpc_img_c

(Also good for gently removing eye makeup!)

~Sue

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I guess I should pass along some experience... my beard can make the second shirt button in a month if I dont shave and I dont have the toughest skin...

Razors... multi- blades are a waste of cash for me. About 2 days and they are so clogged up and dull ...junk. Last wonder razor whas a newfangled trac 26 or something with batteries and fog lights... it's in a drawer with it's other wasted cousins... peeled me like and onion till it's $6 blade clogged up and wouldnt rinse out.

I've tried a bunch of the "latest" shaving appliances over the last few decades and keep returning to a good old safety razor. I have started hoarding blades... they are getting hard to find.

Shaveing in the shower... good move. Hot and clean hair is softer and easier to cut. I lost my shower mirror and have not replaced it... thats on my short list of things to do.

Shave creams... tried a bunch... Liked "Edge" but after years of shaving I keep going back to Barbasol ( about a $1.25 a can)... works good if you work with a hot, wet well steamed beard.

No shave cream, at any price will work worth a darn if you dont work it around on a hot, wet face.

It's pretty basic soap...rinse well and use a moisturiser if it drys your skin out.

Barbershop shaves... if you can still find a barber who shaves...treat yourself. A good straight- razor shave takes the hair really close... I get a few days out of one. Unless you are really into sharpening and stropping razors skip the do- it- at home routine. the hot towels and the whole routine are probably the first "male spa" experience we ever invented (and the closest to a male spa you will ever see me)

Skip a day now and again... longer hair tends to cut closer and it's pulled out a little as the razor glides by it... snaps back just below skin level. Skipping a day or two gives every thing a chance to rest and heal too.

Electrics... last one was a Braun. Good little German precision shaving instrument. A gift from a well meaning relative. Passed it to my lighter- haired son... he likes it. I've tried several overs the years... rather buff the hair with a half- sheet electric sander.

~Hill

• POs Son
    POs Son

By far, the three best products I have ever used are (1) Shave Secret Oil (about $4 at WalMart), (2)Toms of Maine shaving cream in a tube, and (3)Arko shaving soap stick. Search all on google.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

As many times as those stories get told...about the joys of Basic... seems some kids never get it.

Dry shaving, brass brush showers and all those other instruments of training have been portrayed in movies...and this very week there is some dumb-assed kid who will get his company an extra 10 miles in the rain ...cause he's to stupid to shower .........

Beat him with a sock full of soap.

Hill

• undercover
    undercover

I'm with the no shaving crowd...

I shaved every day every since high school while a JW, I think I'll spend a few years not worrying about getting a close shave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit