How many remember the LOOONG Circuit A$$emblies?

by hamsterbait 21 Replies latest jw friends

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

When we first were sucked into the cult the Circuit A$$emblies were:

Friday evening, Saturday Morning Afternoon Evening, Sunday Morning Afternoon.

All I can remember is falling asleep during sessions and being slapped. Running around exploring the building. And the CAmeraderie of travelling to the venue.

They were actually happy days - Armageddy soo close the new System where I could cuddle stinky pandas and ultimately explore the Universe.

And the lovely food the volunteers produced. (At least they missed most of the crap sessions)

I don't think I should willingly subject my children to that now...

HB

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yes, I absolutely remember the long Circuit Assemblies. I didn't know they had changed. I remember and shudder. I don't remember assemblies ever being fun.

Actually, the most fun I ever had at an assembly was working in the kitchen when I was about 12. I worked with an aunt of mine. We talked and laughed a lot and we did n't listen to the talks. That one was in Charlotte, NC at the old Charlotte Coliseium. Maybe 1968 or 1969. Was anybody there?

I really started pulling back after that. I just saw nothing good in the JWs. My friends at school and their families were a lot better people. I couldn't see that all these non-JWs were wicked. It really started to not make sense to me anymore around that time. Too many inconsistencies.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

It is funny you should mentioned that they seemed like happier times in the organizaiton, and you are right, once upon a time things in the organizaiton were not so intense. People didn't feel the stress and strain of daily living that is why we use to have longer assembly days and convention days. Economics were better the dollar went farther. Families in the org. seemed closer. Not anymore though. Times have changed stress and strain show in all their faces as they sit year in year out for this so called GT and A and nothing is happening.

Many have rotten marriages, children out of control. parents are at their wits end with rebelious kids. drugs and alcohol and even more adults are drinking more. Elders are aging so rapidly their hair is gray or white by the time they are less then 50yrs. and alot have heart problems and ulcers. Many of their marriages are in a stressful state because they are the last to leave the KH and they are forever at meetings. If I had a husband who was an elder and was never home Iwould be upset too.

The times have changed and those dog days of summer no longer exist where family's were happy to sit down on wood stumps and chairs and talk about experiences and life and good days of life and today that just not the case. Like the tent cities or trailer parks set up for major conventions. The last eight day assemblies were in the summer of 1969. That existance for newer witnesses to them it's to difficult for many to of the to grasp. And the conventions started at 8:45 AM until Noon then 1:45 pm-5pm you have super and the sessions again from 7pm-9:15/30pm, Can you imagine any witnesses doing that in this day and age, they would just wither up and die.... they could never handle it.

I believe the attitudes of the witnesses changed for the downside in the seventies with the elder arrangement , the no smoking, the 1975 lie and then the way the GB down played the 75 date when we all full well know that they said it was the end of 6000 yrs and that the millinieum reign of Christ was to commence. Wow did they look stupid.

Long day assemblies changed after time and with the last few decades it has become ridiculous witnesses have no idea what being a witness 40 or 50 years ago was like.

Orangefatcat

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I was withering up and dying even in 1973. I don't remember many happy times. But I think things were getting more intense even between 1969 and 1973. All the talk about September 1975 etc, etc. I had to get out of there.

• blondie
    blondie

I remember those 3 day assemblies. The school was Friday evening and field circus Saturday morning. I couldn't imagine how the men set up everything because that was before the day of assembly halls and they rented facilities in the circuit. My father wasn't a jw and unless it was a nearby location and we could get a ride, we couldn't afford it. I can remember packing our own food before it was fashionable.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I Think I remember those long 3 day assemblies in the 60's.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    I remember those 3 day assemblies. The school was Friday evening and field circus Saturday morning. I couldn't imagine how the men set up everything because that was before the day of assembly halls and they rented facilities in the circuit. My father wasn't a jw and unless it was a nearby location and we could get a ride, we couldn't afford it. I can remember packing our own food before it was fashionable.

We usually had those circuit assemblies at high schools that were rented for the weekend. We sometimes packed our food too. We stayed in motels. 4 of us packed in a motel room for a weekend. It wasn't fun. And it wasn't a bonding experience. I don't remember ever having one locally. It seems like we always had to travel to another town. I guess it was kind of expensive.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

I really hate to show my age... but I'm with Orange Fat Cat... I remember the WEEK LONG ALL DAY Assemblies. Were you calling the three-day ones LOOONG?

Ancient Baba of the Ages

• blondie
    blondie

8 day assembly = district

3 day asembly = circuit

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I only remember two 8 day assemblies. I remember them calling them International Assmblies. I think they were in 1966 and 1969. I remember Circuit Assemblies being Friday night-Sunday Night. And District Assemblies being maybe 3 full days or beginning on Thursday. They were always held in a larger arena than the Circuit Assemblies.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit