How many remember the LOOONG Circuit A$$emblies?

by hamsterbait 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

I remember helping to set up hundreds of folding metal chairs and then sitting in one for hours until my ass felt like I was setting on ants. I used to have a Tweed suit that had cockleburrs woven into the fabric.

• yknot
    yknot

Umm I don't remember when exactly how long they were but my parents volunteered, so much like the DCs I spent a lot of time arriving very early, sleeping in an area with other children and staying late to clean-up.

Does anyone remember how they used to organize a mass FS on Thursday and Friday afternoons at both the CAs and DCs?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

This is ONE thing my family never did . We never went out in FS when we were out of town for the assemblies. I don;t know exactly why but maybe my parents just felt like it was too much. We usually skipped at least one session at the assemblies too. We even occasionally went and did some kind of family activity when we skipped. I guess my parents were trying.

• yknot
    yknot
    This is ONE thing my family never did . We never went out in FS when we were out of town for the assemblies. I don;t know exactly why but maybe my parents just felt like it was too much. We usually skipped at least one session at the assemblies too. We even occasionally went and did some kind of family activity when we skipped. I guess my parents were trying.

I am PEA-GREEN with envy !!! If the society was still using billboards back then, I would have been wearing one !!!

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When I was going in, they took away one Great Boasting Session and replaced it with a Big Boasting Session (only one day). It was still too long. They also phased out the 4 day Grand Boasting Sessions in favor of the 3 day versions (still too long).

Going for a Great Boasting Session on Friday evening? Suppose children have school, they had a long day (including a unit test or two), and are now tired? I guess they are supposed to stay awake during the evening for one of those wastefests, go out in field circus the next morning, and then resume listening to the programs. That only allows them to sleep maybe from 10:00 PM (when the program ends for the evening) until 5:00 AM (when they have to get up to participate in field circus). For elementary school children, that simply is not enough.

• wobble
    wobble

"Tell that to the kids today and they won't believe a word of it" (Monty Python 4 Yorkshiremen sketch)

I remember those long torture sessions,8 day and 3day..on one three day Circ. assy my friend and I bunked off on Saturday afternoon and went to the Cinema! I was about ten at the time and this assy. was held in the seaside town of Hastings,on the Pier,with the temptations of the Amusement arcade etc.

I do have fond memories of some assys,but mainly from my teenage years and the girls I met there.

love

Wobble

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

there was a time when we had food trays at district assemblies. That was fun. One could spend almost the entire assembly washing the darned things. But then worldly regulators said they had to go because they weren't hygienic or something (a ploy of satan)

I think I just missed the 3 day circuit assemblies. You guys were very zealous.

• Bonnie_Clyde
    Bonnie_Clyde

I remember the 3-day circuit assemblies and the 8-day district assemblies. I loved every one of them--afer all, we had the "truth." Life was fun, I was full of energy, was rather popular, it was fun working as a volunteer, and we often got to work while the sessions were going. They weren't strict about dating back then, so often I had an (unchaperoned) date after the sessions were over. I also played the piano and often alternated with another piano player at the circuit assemblies. They got me some attention too.

I have to agree--life was simpler then. I was soooo ignorant.

Bonnie

• crapola
    crapola

I was a little girl but remember the ca's lasting until around 9 pm. I had'nt thought of that in a long time.

• undercover
    undercover

I remember the 8 day International conventions...three sessions a day, not just two...during the heat of summer in outdoor baseball stadiums.

I remember the 3 day circuit assemblies as well. Friday afternoon, Saturday and Sunday. When I was a kid they were held in rented school auditoriums. Later they used a coliseum annex building. The schools were better because they used fixed seating that was more comfortable than the metal folding chairs they used at the annex.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit