Who was the biggest Jehovah's Witness rebel?

by slimboyfat 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Who was raised a JW and went on to lead life in stark contrast to their upbringing?

I have often thought the award should go to Dwight Eisenhower. From a religion that railed against politics and warfare he first invaded Western Europe and then went on to become president of the United States. You don't get a rebellion much bolder than that.

Michael Jackson turning into a Muslim and wearing a woman's veil seems pretty tame by comparison.

And who says a Witness upbringing necessarily holds you back from being who you want?

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Dwight Eisenhower was raised as a JW? I've never heard that one and I've been around JWs for a long time.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

He kept it a secret.

http://www.seanet.com/~raines/eisenhower.html

Also info about it in Marley Cole's book Jehovah's Witnesses - The New World Society.

• poppers
    poppers

Ike smoked like a chimney too.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Ike smoked like a chimney too.

No big deal, so did Rutherford. It was only a problem in the late(?) 70's to smoke.
    Not before that.

I imagine there are tons of great examples, but they are unheard of unless they
    gained fame. Lots of JW's kids rebeled and went into rebellion.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Fascinating, there's hope for us all.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

one big name in JW's that was a rebel and started teaching things his way was a brother inQuebec who had been imprisoned over a hundred times during the years of persecution in Canada and the ban in Quebec. Many may recall him... he is Laurier Summuar. I think that is how his last name is spelled. It was gossipped that he also had a serious drinking problem however I don't know if that is true of not. Some one else told me he was eventually reinstated. Is there anyone who knows any thing more of this person.

orangefatcat

• yknot
    yknot

I agree it is hard to top IKE......

As far as smoking..... it wasn't a DFing offense during his upbringing & presidency .

I think it became a DFing offense about the time I was born (1973).

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

I never heard of the years of persecution or the ban in Quebec either. When was this?

I don't remember smoking being a disfellowshipping offense. It was looked down on and discouraged but not disfellowshipping. I even knew somebody that smoked in private. She was a "friend" of our family. She faded before my parents did.

• FairMind
    FairMind

1973 is correct. I smoked right up till May of 1973.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit