Who was the biggest Jehovah's Witness rebel?

by slimboyfat 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

Mr Franz gets my vote.

• treadnh2o
    treadnh2o

Prince must make the top 10 list.

• AllTimeJeff
    AllTimeJeff

If we are talking about rebels, Ray Franz has to be #1. No one has done more to break through the fog of borgbot BS like his leaving.

Without Crisis of Conscience, how many tens of thousands would have left without a real understanding of what goes on behind the scenes? The expose brought about peace for many people, myself included. I am not burdened by the indoctrination of what happens to people after they leave JW's, and I credit Franz with much of that.

• 5go
    5go

Franz gets my vote.

It still send minor tremors through a JW when you bring up that a governing body member left and turned apostate.

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life

Yeah, Ray Franz definitely gets my vote. He's one of my heroes. But that's very interesting about Dwight Eisenhower. I have even more respect for him now and all that he accomplished.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

For info on the ban of JWs in Quebec Canada see Roncarelli vs. Duplessis/Province of Quebec

• Scarred for life
    Scarred for life
    Scarred, you have been out of touch for awhile.

Yes, Blondie, and I'm so happy about that. For the most part, I really don't want to know what the current rules and regulations and teachings are in the JWs. I haven't cared in 37 years and have tried to stay as far away as possible. I'm mostly only interested in the long-term psychological effects that this cult has on its former members.

• gymbob
    gymbob

I vote for Ray Franz....but Richie Rich should at least get an honorable mention!

• Outaservice
    Outaservice

If my memory serves me correctly, Eisenhower's parents (maybe just mother) were associated with a group called River Bretheren when he was younger and then later when Dwight was an adult, then became Jehovah's Witnesses (Bible Students).

Outaservice

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

hey guys I think Fred Franz should get a mention too. Imo he was rebel within the organisation. If I remember corrrectly, Ray in Crises of Conscience does draw attention to the fact that his uncle encouraged his to think for himself and to entertain unusual subversive hypotheses.

Fred was 84 when he got appointed president - how come he wasn't appointed sooner.

In 1942 when Knorr was appointed president, Fred Franz was 49 to Knorr's 37. Did Franz not get appointed because he did not follow WTS thinking to the letter ans was little too spiritual? When he finally got appointed was he considered too old to cause trouble?

Also he wrote all those imaginative watchtower articles that kept us coming back for more but also when he stopped writing for the watchtower it subconsciouly clued us to think about leaving as the articles became very dry and boring.

edit - here is a pic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:FrederickWilliamFranz-atBrooklynBethel.png

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit