Why I suspect most people do not really believe in god

by Elsewhere 31 Replies latest jw friends

• halcyon
    halcyon

OP, you've obviously not seen a personal sex tape then ... (lol)

When I was older and decided to break nearly every "rule" just to get myself past the fear of the rules, I finally discovered the true consequences of my actions. It wasn't about other people catching me. It was about how I felt about myself inside. What a freeing (and sobering) discovery!

I fully believe in God though. I don't claim to understand what He is, but I surrender myself to Him, in the way a good-natured domestic house pet trusts its master. I take control of my daily life, but entrust that which is out of my control to Him.

• Quotes
    Quotes

Elsewhere, interesting post.

Personally, I am a non-believer.

Although your examples make sense, I think you have underestimated people's ability to convince themselves they believe in something that they really don't believe in.

~Q

• jimbo
    jimbo

My god!

What do we call god? The other day I had a revelation. Time is god! We all answer to time! Time heals all wounds! Time is the revealer of secrets! I believe in Time! Time has left its mark on me! Time is not really that forgiving either.

Oh well it will take me someday! But until then life is grand!

jimbo

• Satanus
    Satanus

Here is a test for you elsewhere, to ascertain if you exist. Whenever you have a thought or emotion, ask yourself, 'who is having this thought or emotion'. Then, try to sense who what it is/you are. Let me know.

S

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Most JWs really think they believe, but it is more a conditioning. For example, if you debate a JW or challenge their beliefs with facts, they quickly become (A) afraid (B) angry. They are unable to intelligently discuss their beliefs without being overwhelmed with their conditioning which results in them having an emotional reaction which prevents the discussion from continuing. So JWs *think* they really believe what they believe. But if you think everybody is faking their belief in the organization and none of them really believed it, and you weren't a believer and were still zealously bringing people into the grind of what it takes to be a JW, then I would think you fall into a category that is populated by few rather than many.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Satanus said: Here is a test for you elsewhere, to ascertain if you exist. Whenever you have a thought or emotion, ask yourself, 'who is having this thought or emotion'. Then, try to sense who what it is/you are. Let me know. ------------------------------ Tis the spirit of Satanus I feel. Get thee behind me! :P

• Satanus
    Satanus

Mega

'Tis the spirit of Satanus I feel.'

Impossible. I don't exist.

S

• CHILD
    CHILD

I think most JWs don't know what they actually believe. They are brainwashed and their beliefs are whatever the WTS says to believe. This is why many ex-JWs reject God.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

The very fact that we have to wonder if god exists adds to my belief that he does not. People ponder this stuff their entire lives, and everyone comes up with a different opinion depending upon their upbringing, their life experiences, their country of birth, etc, etc, etc.

Why do theists think that we have to put so much effort into even believing that god exists? Anyone who is a parent knows that as soon as your child is born, you love that child with your entire being. It's something that happens automatically, and virtually all parents experience that love of their child. Did "god" put those feelings into place in humans? If so, then why didn't he create a similar in us so that we KNOW that he's there?

I've prayed to God since I was a small child. I always felt that no one was listening, no matter how hard I prayed. As a child, it reinforced my feelings of not being worth anyone's time or attention. As an adult and finally free of the WTS, I am open to the idea that perhaps there really is no one there.

GGG

• still_in74
    still_in74

yes very good point.

you would think any and all JW's would be pioneering and preaching 24/7 and studying all the time. But why not?

IMHO - its because JW's have externalized their morality. This is due to years of conditioning. Think about it, someone else is always telling you whether or not you can do something. If your good you get privileges in the KH, you get pats on the back. Jehovah loves you. You are surrounded by people who are always saying "this will get you DF'd" or "you cant get DF'd for that" - thus the JW is trained to avoid punishment.

So long as you are getting the pats on the back by elders and not getting DF'd you are OK. If you get DF'd by imperfect humans (elders) then you will die at Armageddon.

"You dont want to die at Armageddon do you? Cause if you are bad I will DF you and then Jehovah will have no choice but to kill you for all eternity because I DF'd you and didnt reinstate you in time"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit