Why I suspect most people do not really believe in god

by Elsewhere 31 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Growing up as a JW I never really believed in god. I thought everyone else didn't really believe either. When some sort of religious activity or speak was going on I was just pretending and I thought everyone else was pretending too. Just as someone will enter a theater and temporarily suspend disbelief during the show, I thought everyone else was doing the same thing at meetings or church.

It wasn't until I was about 25 years old that I suddenly realized that people really did believe in the supernatural... ghosts, gods, afterlife and damnation. Quite frankly I was horrified. Imagine if you suddenly realized that 80-90% of the worlds population thought Harry Potter and Star Wars was seriously real?

One of the main reasons I thought most people didn't really believe in god was because the two very different ways they behaved when video cameras were recording and when there were no video cameras around.

• When cameras were recording, everyone behaved themselves and never did anything "wrong".
    • When there were no cameras around, everyone behaved quite differently.

Simply put: When they knew they were being watched and judged, they behaved themselves. When they didn't think they were being watched and judged, they did not behave themselves.

If these same people truly believed they were always being watched by a god who was going to judge them based on their behavior, why would the presence of a camera make any difference?

The only thing I could conclude was that these people did not truly believe. Instead they only brought out their god when it suited them.

• Satanus
    Satanus

That's interesting. It raises a few questions. I really did believe, even though it wasn't based on direct experience.

S

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

Please don't tell me Star Wars isn't real!!!

• musky
    musky

Excellent post! I grew up believing in God. I was taught that and knew nothing else. I thought we were better than everyone else. Now all I want is for God to answer my prayer. I don't know if anyones listening.

• PrimateDave
    PrimateDave

Very interesting topic. I can definitely see your point. When I look back on my life, I realize I grew up with cognitive dissonance. I was constantly told that there was a god, was expected to say that I believed in a god, and yet never really felt it. When I was alone, I felt alone. When I finally stopped trying to convince myself that a god exists, I felt so much better.

Dave

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    I was constantly told that there was a god, was expected to say that I believed in a god, and yet never really felt it. When I was alone, I felt alone. When I finally stopped trying to convince myself that a god exists, I felt so much better.

Same here.

• yknot
    yknot

Interesting......

Most people I know in Texas believe in God.

Not acting 'perfect' or alway appropriate is just part of being an imperfect human..... hence the need for forgiveness.

We all get busy in our lives, single minded and totally wrapped up at times with daily routines....forgeting about everyone and everything not on our immediate agenda............. but many of us still believe in God.

I had the exact opposite reaction to growing up JW, I believe in God, and see wonder and awe in all things around me.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Now that you mention it, looking back there was a time when I really believed Jehovah watched my every move, and I (tried to) behave accordingly. I thought I was in his bad books even for just admiring nice looking girls. I think I could have done without that guilt trip.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d
    • When cameras were recording, everyone behaved themselves and never did anything "wrong".
    • When there were no cameras around, everyone behaved quite differently.

This is exactly why Jehovah has dictated that cameras will be placed on red lights and at busy malls. This is why you will be eyescanned and finger printed before you can enter any building. This is why eye in the sky has a direct link to see you in your yard on Google earth. Just wait till it goes live!

Yes, the "eye of jehovah" will truly be on everyone and you will have no doubts that he is watching "over' you. And anyone touching his EYEBALL will be tracked.

As you well know, the WT has added its own list of sins to the 10 big ones of Moses.

Just wait till Jah overhears through your cell phone what you are watching on TV! You will get zapped with punishing frequencies.

Welcome to the new system.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I completely agree with Elsewhere.

When I was a child, I depended upon my ignorant and delusional mother to instruct me as to the nature of reality. By the time I was 8 years old I concluded that truth is congruent with reality, but I continued to believe for many years that reality would support my mother's version of what was true.

It wasn't until I was old enough to face the draft board that I began to apprehend the nature of reality firsthand.

I'm amused by god-believers who suggest that >I< - I am now an atheist - am obligated to meet or exceed the moral expectations of THEIR god. No, that's not my job - that's YOUR JOB.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit