Forbidden fruit

by is there help out there 16 Replies latest jw friends

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

ok that is just plain stupid. How about a cheese pizza? Duh. Talk about bringing attention to one's self. I can see it already at an assembly. "Yes brother Nonsense, so while u were picking pepperoni off your pizza, a curious bystander asked what u were doing and you were able to turn it into a witness on the blood issue." Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaag

• rebel8
    rebel8

"In fact, these fractions are being used not only by physicians but also by food processors, and so it would be well to note the labels on such products to see if they contain any blood substances or fractions. When in doubt, it would be best to do without."
    - Awake! 09/08/1956 p. 20

This article yielded decades of jw urban myths about food manufacturers hiding blood in their foods, such as Milky Way candy bars, etc. Some have a tiny base in reality.

I've asked in recent years if this is still forbidden, and the answer I'm given is no. I mentioned several products whose labels specifically state they contain plasma (Campbell's chicken soup, Krab--I've personally seen plasma on the labels). I'm told they're allowed.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Bovril, which is a spread of sorts and ostrich.

• QuestioningEverything
    QuestioningEverything

OMG WTWizard-I totally forgot about the cereals I wasn't supposed to eat. I LOVE Lucky Charms. My mom would buy those cereals for us-thank goodness. But once someone from the hall came over while we were eating breakfast and 'counseled' her about the cereal. Now, I look back on it and can't imagine 'counseling' an adult about what cereal they are feeding their family.

• StAnn
    StAnn

No blood sausage. Can't have the full English breakfast, I guess, if I ever make it to England.

Also, a friend had to give up her orchid collection because there is blood in orchid food.

Remember that we had to read labels on our pet food, too.

StAnn

• loosie
    loosie

Lucky charms

Boo Berry

Count Chocula

• iloowy
    iloowy

"Cured Blood Sausage" that's

Boudin (in French),

Morcilla (in Spanish) and

Morcela (in Portuguese).