What Little Rebellious Things Did You Do When Still A JW?

by Seeker4 55 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Where there little things that you did just to express yourself and feel like you weren't just some robot clog in a machine?

I was thinking of stuff I did over the years:

Read whatever books I wanted, even apostate ones over the years. I think that's what got me thinking and eventually out of the JWs.

Listened to whatever music I wanted (though I did toss out some albums when that whole thing was going around - Imagine getting rid of Jimi's Electric Ladyland 'cause it had Voodoo Child on it??!! A few years later, still a JW, I rebought most of what I'd tossed!)

My kids used to make those string "friendship" bracelets, and I ended up wearing a bunch of them. But, I remember there were actually brothers who counseled against them in meeting parts! By that time I was an elder and assembly overseer and didn't take any of that shit from anyone. One brother tried to put me down about it, and I just stomped all over that!

It's not unusual for me to wear two or three slim, silver rings on each hand (not the bulky ones with stones - can't stand those fat rings), and I did that when I was a JW. I remember some CO actually giving like a quota of rings that would be 'appropriate' for a Witness - it was like anything over two rings was drawing attention to yourself. What an ass!

Any others?

S4

• minimus
    minimus

Seeker, you rebel, you!

I would tell sick people not to come to meetings because they were unhealthy to be around.

I went to clubs and discos and concerts regularly. I just didn't tell anyone unless they were friends.

I would chew gum in the Hall when elders would say such chewing was disrespectful. '

My wife had more gold, diamonds and furs than any Witness I knew. She wore tasteful makeup too.

I would tell Witnesses to do the best they could do and not worry about judgmental ones.

If I was thru giving my talk or conducting my bookstudy and it was earlier than the allotted time, I'd tell everyone, "I've got nothing more to say so unless their are any special announcements that I have missed, we can go home early". (Everyone wanted to come to my bookstudy.)

Often I was the lone elder in a vote. Nearly every time I explained my position, the body of elders would change their original vote.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Min, you reminded me. It got to the point where, when I was an elder, if there wasn't a clear verse backing a WTS rule, I wouldn't support the rule either.

For example, the ban on oral sex. When a couple came to me to ask about it, I'd just tell them there is nothing in the Bible about it, and as far as I was concerned, it was their own business what they wanted to do.

S4

• minimus
    minimus

I would ask, in the official capacity of an elder, what exactly they planned on doing. Then I would excuse myself to be alone for a few miinutes.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Sometimes if I felt a little spunky:

let the sidebuns creep a half an inch or so between haircuts

wear a pair of dress-western boots on the platform

look at cleavage ( discrete, of course)

I had a pink shirt too...

Pretty wild eh?

Hill

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

I would take off my convention badge at restaurants after the District Convention. Eating dinner while wearing a name badge just felt so . . . . . Mormonish.

• iceguy
    iceguy

Jeremy c I took it a step further. Not only did I take off the badge...I also went and changed into street clothes and then went out to eat!!!

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Jeremy c I took it a step further. Not only did I take off the badge...I also went and changed into street clothes and then went out to eat!!!

Bah! What flagrant disregard for theocratic direction. The Society used to make dramas about people like you!

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I listened to whatever music I wanted to.

Had thoughts I shouldn't have.

Enjoyed christmas music.

Looked longlingly at the quaint little Episcopal Church in my town and remembered fondly how fun it was for kids with Christmas pageants and Easter egg hunts. I missed Midnight Mass.

Thought the hysteria over demon possessed gifts from my mother sounded awfully like superstition.

I was kind to disfellowshipped people.

• Mincan
    Mincan

The last time I went in service I only pretended to knock on the doors... oh so bad!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit