Recently Received Wacky JW Spam re: UN Destroying Religion

by Olin Moyles Ghost 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I didn't realize this was around for so long. I'd never heard it. I bet the newbies don't realize that either otherwise 'Whatever your mission is, get it done quickly, for it won't be long now!' would sound real stupid.

Isaac

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

The sad thing is that this sort of rubbish does circulate amongst the rank and file.

Love it or hate it, religion is going to be around a long time - communism proved it couldn't be destroyed.

• chickpea
    chickpea

just adding my affirmation that
    this jewel was around when
    my now 17 YO son was a nursing infant...
    really got played up in "the mother's room"

Woe to those who are pregnant and to those who are nursing babies in those days;
    for there will be great distress upon the land and wrath to this people
    luke 21:23

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This is a variation of a long running rumour that jws have circulated for a long time.

In the version I heard, some JWs on a cruise were eating dinner at a table with somebody who was a higher up at the U.N, but the JWs didn't know it. They began to 'witness' to the person, eventually telling them about what the U.N. would do to religion at the buildup to Armageddon. The U.N. official then replied, "I work for the U.N., how were you able to know everything we are going to do?".

The story breaches all levels of rationality. If you know anything about the U.N. you would know that it is a strongly bureaucratic organization with TONS of infighting. The idea that there could be some unified goal (hidden from the public) to destroy religion is absurd. If you are an uneducated, ignorant fool who wants to believe the story of the world as told by the Watchtower then stories like these go right up your alley.

• lrkr
    lrkr
    After stating a series of facts and statistics, he explained that there is one group that will never be found in that category - Jehovah's Witnesses - and then went on to show why that was the case. He spoke at length of the sovereignty of God's kingdom and how that kingdom will unite the planet.

To which the member of the UN committee said, "Wow- you JWs really are a cult. We thought you were just another religion until you started talking like that."

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

Man, I heard this stupid story 18 years ago when I was in High School, presented as if it had just happened.

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Talking of JW urban myths, does anyone remember this one from the 1970s?

A couple of sisters out in field circus meet a spiritualist who asks them, "What is this 'Armageddon' all about?"

The two sisters explain it to her and then ask, "Why do you want to know?"

The spiritualist replies, "Because we keep trying to get through to the spirits, but they say they can't talk to us as they are busy getting ready for Armageddon."

Laugh now, but scared the living daylights out of young, impressionable JW kids, it did.

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

oh gosh the day these stupid stories stop circulating is the day I'm able to crap out all my JW teachings.

• TreadClimberMaster
    TreadClimberMaster

I got this very same email about a month ago from someone in Florida. UGH! I want to tell this person to stop sending me all of this nonsense. All she ever talks about is how she can't wait for this world to end. Even when I was a JW I really didn't want the world to end, it just didn't feel right wishing for all of humanity to just die.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I heard this story a few years back, but it was told by a brother who'd been in service, met a woman at the door who said she had worked at the UN for years, and he asked her when they were planning to destroy religion.... and she asked how he knew what they were going to do... blah blah blah. Amazing.

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit