He Needed Jehovah's Witnesses [or at least religion]! A True Story.

by AK - Jeff 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

A good story well-told, Jeff.

So many who come to the witnesses could be placed somewhere on the continuum of social dysfunction and then find a (relatively) comfortable niche within the rigid demands of the WTS. These are the folks who need to be told when to put the left foot in front of the right foot. The WTS is a good fit.

As a template for intelligent, functional people, however, it is, of course, tragic.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

No question that the teachings regarding health (minus blood of course) and morality really help some who would self destruct otherwise. All religions have this. And that is why many will never leave, and probably shouldn't. Sadly stories like this are misused by JWs who could leave to justify their actions. "After all look at the good the JWs do!" they say. As if all the BS about 1914 and other such nonsense has anything to do with being healthy and functional. Anyway good post Jeff. Puts things in perspective. Isaac Carmignani

• Lease
    Lease

Jeff,

i am of the same view as yourself. your story is a good example.

sadly, i have seen elders actually kick out 2 persons from the organization for not becoming baptized. one was an elderly lady who needed to belong and the other was mentally handicapped and very innnocent.

lease

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

It has to be said also that there are other religious organizations that have helped certain people out unhealthy social and behavior patterns

and have made an positive direction toward those individuals, but perhaps didn't put a lid on that individuals growth and intellect as the JWS do.

Like I mentioned previously the JWS medicine may indeed cure but there are certain side effects to be taken into account.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

"Side effects", that's good. Personally I don't want to see even one new person join this religion for just those "side effects". There are too many other places to go to get help. But for those already stuck in there who would self destruct if they left, well I wish them the best. Isaac

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I have no doubt that few people are helped by the witlesses--a fact that they love to showcase in their littera-trash. However, for every one person that is helped, hundreds (if not thousands) of lives are ruined by the religion.

• StAnn
    StAnn

My husband's first wife, now deceased, was being visited by the Dubs. My husband put a stop to their visits. His wife had a drug problem and eventually committed suicide. I've often told him that she was exactly the kind of person the Dubs can help and that if he hadn't sent them away, I'm sure they'd have gotten her in hand and turned her around. Now she's dead so there's no way to know.

Of course, then he wouldn't be my husband and we wouldn't have our children.

StAnn

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Jeff, you gave that man a goal and purpose in life...no one else ever bothered to take him under wing.

I believe many witnesses would have thrown him away...you did it.

Snoozy...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit