He Needed Jehovah's Witnesses [or at least religion]! A True Story.

by AK - Jeff 17 Replies latest jw experiences

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I was a dyed in the wool Jw. He was a 'call' turned over to me by my best friend when he headed off to Bethel in '73.

The first time I called there, I nearly gagged with the filthy living conditions. The tattered plastic curtains that were shrouded in decades of tobacco smoke, the box that acted as a coffee table catch-all and was filled with a couple dozen packs of various brands of cigarettes, some cans of snuff and chewing tobacco, the two other brothers that lived there coming and going in dirty clothes and unkempt appearance.

Max [not his real moniker] was a humble man, never married, and I assume never kissed. He did odd jobs around town for meager wages. His parents had passed down the house to the brothers, and they lived like three misers in it. I assumed that the other two did the same, though I later found out that the eldest of them had a full time job, and drove a car. Brother number two was a deaf-mute and did not work or ever leave the house as far as I could tell.

My target was Max. He spoke with a deep lisp, his ears were literally overflowing with earwax at times. He had not ever been out of the city except to visit his retarded sister in a city a few miles away, at least as far as I could determine. We studied every week faithfully. He worked like a trooper to understand the doctrines from the 'Truth' book. No one that I ever took to his house came out feeling comfortable about the surroundings. I never took sisters that I can recall.

Over time he 'progressed'. He got baptised. He began to store his clothes in a sealed bag so that he could come to the meetings without smelling like a tobacco stain. He cleaned up his ear infection. He began to read out loud and moved from what appeared to be a second grade reading ability to at least Watchtower level. Over time he became a student in the TMS and gave readings and then talks, though he was so nervous that he would literally shake all over when he climbed on the stage.

Eventually one brother died and he and his deaf brother rented a government assisted apartment, which was always neat and clean as a pin. His deaf brother eventually died too, and his sister. Max was [and is] all alone without the 'brothers'. He happily attends every meeting, eventually working full time in a grocery store until retirement age. He looks clean and nice. He converses well with others. He is a productive member of the community.

Now - before it looks like I am defending Jehovah's Witnesses. I am not. But there is a place for religion in some cases. And this is one of them. Max would have progressed under the tutelage of another religion or secular organization willing to take him under it's wings. Of that I have no doubt. But I seriously doubt that he would have moved as far as he did. Other organizations don't have the TMS for example, and without that he would have been stymied in some significant areas. Other organizations do not insist on such rigid conformity, conformity that aided this man to develop personal habits that did not exist in his life beforehand.

For Max, this organization was true blessing. His parents died before they could teach him living skills. The three brothers taught each other, and very poorly at that. He would likely have not lived long enough under the conditions he lived to have reached retirement. The organization did him tremendous favors.

I hate the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses. I hate it's mind control tactics. I hate it's lies and manipulation. But in this case I must give credit to it's positive side. It is ironic, that on the eve of Christmas I am moved to see a positive from a negative organization that repudiates all that Christmas stands for to me - peace and goodwill among men.

For some reason I was moved to write this today. It has been on my mind.

Max will no likely refuse to speak to me should we meet nowadays. As a faithful Ministerial Servant in that religion he feels compelled to shun the one who started him down the pathway that has become his life. But I am proud to have done so in this case. This religion does not need Max. But in this case he needed the religion. It would have been so much better if it had been a secular organization that has made such remarkable progress for this onetime backward and uneducated man, for a secular group would have likely moved him even further along in life. But if one could divorce the religious wrongs from this one work of goodness and training, one would be moved to laud the example it has set.

I am proud of Max. He is a good man with a good heart. He still believes the lies I taught him. He likely will die believing them. But his life in the meantime has been enhanced. At least in part he owes that to the false religion that we know as Jehovah's Witnesses.

Merry Christmas Mrs. Kalibash, wherever you are.

Jeff

• sir82
    sir82

Thanks - I have made this point at times in other posts, and was met with ridicule.

But there are many many people who have benefitted from their association from JWs. True, they perhaps could have improved themselves with another religion, or another organization, something else to pin themselves to - but the fact remains, the JWs were the ones to reach the person first, and the person's life improved as a result.

OK, flame away!

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

Some people can't function without constant, rigid, structure so I guess it's good for something. My parents and brothers (that are JW's) are like that. They don't know how to do anything with the guidance of their religion. It's really sad to me. But if it works for them, good.

Doesn't work for me and they know it.

nj

• mimimimi
    mimimimi

Definitely there are some people who are helped by it. I totally agree with that. I feel that my mother is one who was helped. She had a violent schizophrenic father and an alcoholic adulterous mother. Her brothers and sisters were all alcoholic but one, who died at an early age of cervical cancer. My mother needed something to help her escape from what would very likely have been a very bad, probably alcoholic life. To convince her that the religion is wrong, especially at the age of 77, would take away something that has been of benefit and joy to her and would probably make her feel totally hopeless.

The Watchtower does great damage to families and i think there are those who need to be helped out of it, but not everyone.

• Quandry
    Quandry

Yes, he needed help. There are many social and religious organizations that do help people, but maybe don't visit homes like the witnesses do. I am glad he was helped. You were trying your best to do good for your fellow man. Obviously you succeeded. Please feel good about it. So sorry that you are right, and he probably would not thank you now, since he has been trained well by the WTS.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Its true that for some individual circumstances some people justed slipped under the protection of their social community in which they lived and indeed the JWS

made and constructed a direction for them that made an improvement in their lives, but it is also important to realize too that the medicine that the JWS used on

these people have incurred their own bad side effects expressively toward these individuals.

In most of these cases then it should be realized that the JWS did make an improvement and a better life that otherwise would not have been made possible,

irregardless of what kind of arrogance these individuals will display now.........give them a smile if you come across such people

• Kudra
    Kudra

ugh, all of my studies were like that...

Were there ever any normal studies?? We even had a bunch of studies at a home for retarded adults. Not to sound mean but why didn't we realize that it was sort of a waste of time, from the WTS's view? If they couldn't comprehend "the truth" they JeeHoo wouldn't judge them and the JWs should be out there getting the compus menti folks...

• steve2
    steve2
    For Max, this organization was true blessing.

I have long believed that some people prosper and "come into their own" in organizations that otherwise oppress others. It's a no-brainer, though: For every Max, there is a Janice and Adam: people for whom the Watchtower Society instils an impenetrable barrier of guilt and shame that leads to successful suicidal behaviour.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Well stated all. Steve you are at my point. I had brought others to the Jw's in my lifelong career, but Max was the only one that I would gladly leave undisturbed in his delusion. At least that little bit of good came out of all my misguided efforts to preach the form of 'good news' we had to dispense.

• skeptic1914
    skeptic1914

This experience highlights something I personally struggle with. On the one hand, I see the "man behind the curtain" and have felt compelled (in the past) to expose him (for example to my own active JW children, who now shun me even though not df'd or da'd).

On the other hand are those who benefit from the structure of the org. To pull the rug out from under someone w/o considering the consequences to that individual is shortsighted, I think.

I have a lifelong friend who sees many of the flaws in this religion (actually she is much closer theologically to a BA Christian) but who feels that the exposure of the lies of the WT to some of her adult children (by others) has left her a couple of these children w/o a life anchor. Maybe not better off.

Skeptic1914

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit