The average Witness just doesn't talk about doctrine anymore

by BonaFide 32 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

If you were "in the Truth" for some years, you will remember this. We used to have Bible games at parties. We used to discuss doctrinal matters in the car group in service, and at get-togethers. At the doors we used to have major Bible discussions with people. Two brothers in my Hall used to write to the Society with Bible questions, and the Society would answer. We used to ask each other Bible questions. Some would go to the Kingdom Hall library to do research.

Not anymore. I am still active, and there are no Bible games at parties. No doctrinal discussions in car groups. No Bible discussions at parties.

If you dare bring up a Bible topic at a get-together, like I have, you get blank stares, or a "leave it in Jehovah's hands" comment.

No one talks about doctrine anymore, unless it is during the meeting at the Kingdom Hall.

BF

• hmike
    hmike

Just as a wild guess, I would say that discussing doctrine, esp. with those outside the WT, generates arguments and threatens to expose weaknesses, both counterproductive to bringing people in.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Good morning, Bona Fide:

To the limited extent I'm involved in JWism, I see this too. The same publishers have their own arrangements for service (shopping, coffee, etc. upon leaving the KH). Service, I'm surmising, doesn't comprise the fervid and compelling conversations of earlier times. General conversation doesn't often include "the Truth." I'm still welcomed and loved (mostly) by JWs despite my changed appearance (no questions asked by them). I'd fit in better in Denmark.

"Religion" has replaced what we once sincerely felt was our own special brand of spirituality.

Thanks.

CoCo

• Farkel
    Farkel

:The average Witness just doesn't talk about doctrine anymore

That's because there aren't any worthwhile ones left to talk about without looking like a total idiot for even bringing them up.

Farkel

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Watchtower doctrines are for memorizing and repeating; not discussing. To discuss something means that questions are present within the subject being discussed. Just imagine the reaction within a JW car group if someone announced that they wanted to discuss the issue of interpreting the 144,000 as a literal number. Is a JW allowed to raise questions about the Society's interpretative methods? Not in the open. And certainly not if they wish to receive future invitations to baby showers.

Doctrine is sort of a "don't go there" zone. One can repeat what one has read in a publication with comments of flattery and gratitude, but discussion always evokes that which is forbidden: questioning. I certainly agree with the title of this thread. I have noticed that JW conversations usually always revolve around assembly talks, Watchtower articles about the end being near, or latest experiences from places like Cameroon. But, doctrinal discussions are completely absent.

Why discuss something when the Faithful Slave has already figured it out for you? The individual JWs job is not to figure things out. Their job is to memorize what is printed, and dutifully sell the Watchtower product from door-to-door.

• blondie
    blondie

This trend of not talking about doctrine has been a long-term one, at least for the last 20 or more years. You can tell by how the books and study articles have been dumbed down. I can remember that in 1977 the WTS changed the WT study procedure to reading the paragraph first then asking the question because so many attending had not read the article and were trying to find the answer as the question was asked. At least now they had the time it took to read the paragraph to find an answer.

*** w77 2/1 p. 96 New Method of Conducting "Watchtower" Study ***Elders who preside at the weekly Watchtower study, as well as those who conduct the congregation book studies, are anxious to teach in the most effective and helpful way. (Rom. 12:8; 2 Tim. 4:2) Moreover, all in the congregation desire to make the most of opportunities for taking in spiritual nourishment so that they may attain to "accurate knowledge and full discernment" of the truth.—Phil. 1:9.

With this in mind, we recommend to all congregations the following order of study: (1) Read the paragraph in TheWatchtower (or other publication); (2) Read the question thereon; (3) Call on those raising their hands for answers, discussing fully the paragraph and supporting scriptures.

There should be a number of advantages in reading the paragraphs before they are discussed. This will quickly refresh the minds of all who have studied over the lesson in advance, and in the event some have not been able to do this previous to the meeting, the reading will at least familiarize them with the material before it is discussed. Everyone will be encouraged to concentrate on the reading, rather than look ahead for the answer in the next paragraph. Those who are shy, or who are slow in organizing their thoughts, will be able to prepare better to put their words together and so gain confidence to raise their hands. There should be freer participation and fuller discussion of the finer details of the study, with emphasis on the application of key scriptures before passing on to the reading of the next paragraph.

• choosing life
    choosing life

Blondie,

I remember that change to reading the watchtower at the meeting. I was fairly new to the meetings and when they told me they wanted me to study ahead of time, then listen to them read the paragraph again at the meeting, I felt I was back in kindergarden. I was in college at the time and this seemed so infantile. I got a part-time job and left the meetings after the public talk to get to work to avoid them.

Never felt so good to get outside those droning watchtower studies.

I agreee that most witnesses don't care what the society teaches anymore. It is all about the social aspect and reserving your place in the paradise. I would go further and say that many witnesses don't even know what the "current" teaching is on a number of things. What difference does it make? You can't get too attached to any doctrine that may change at any time.

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

I never knew that the paragraghs were not read. Very interesting. Did they lengthen the meeting when they start doing this? This was just before my mom got serious with the JWs.

• blondie
    blondie

The length of the meeting stayed the same, 1 hour. I do remember when I was going to school that there was a 15 minute break between the public talk and the WT study and the meeting lasted at least 2 hours, 15 minutes. I guess some ducked out to smoke (pre-1973). It was supposed to allow non-jws who came just for the talk to be able to leave without being embarrassed. Some elders said it was to allow the jw to take their student home (must have been driving a rocket to make any distance in that time).

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

A few months ago, I brought up a Bible question in the car group for service. One of the brothers said to me, "Are you stuck in the 90's or something?"

BF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit