NY Times: "Bad times are good for churches." Why so little JW growth?

by Seeker4 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    Just imagine what JW meetings and conventions could be like if JWs were allowed to employ their abilities and talents without having to be micro-managed and having their hands held by Brooklyn.

They would lose their soldier like menatlity and complete and utter uniformity.... it would then become a "spiritual paradise", not a micromanaged war zone...

• blondie
    blondie

The only time I saw any phenomenal growth was from 1966 to 1975 based on manufactured bad times by the WTS. When they didn't deliver the end, things dropped off and that kind of increase has not been duplicated since.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    The only time I saw any phenomenal growth was from 1966 to 1975 based on manufactured bad times by the WTS. When they didn't deliver the end, things dropped off and that kind of increase has not been duplicated since.

This is a reason why many believe that a serious economic crisis (on the scale of the Great Depression) would re-awaken that kind of JW growth here in the U.S. I disagree with this theory. I believe that almost all of that growth would be seen in the large churches that render many of the kinds of services that I discussed above. People are looking for spirituality that helps them cope with life. They are not looking for a magazine or a tract.

The larger churches that outreach to the communities via food banks and charitable giving will be those who appeal to the public the most. It will be those that gain new visitors via word of mouth because of the inspiration and dynamic natures of their pastors. What does the Watchtower organization offer? A boring thirty minute talk followed by a Watchtower study. (where the visitor doesn't even get to keep the magazine.) Pathetic.

The Watchtower organization is like a company still trying to sell pagers in a market that is demanding iPhones and Blackberry's.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Great comments.

About the Christian rap artist - of course that would be stifled by the JWs.

I remember once I hit on one of the Gospel singing programs on the religious channels, where there are like 50 performers on stage taking turns singing. I loved the fact that they were of all colors, young, old, long haired guys, short haired guys, beards, fancy clothes, plain clothes, nice suits and blue jeans.

And everyone seemed to be having a hell of a fun time.

I wondered then why the Witneses weren't like that if they really had the truth and god's blessing and spirit. Most of the folks on that television show would have been counseled by the JWs for their "worldly" dress or appearance.

Even the WT Study where the audience participates, it's simply by rephrasing what the paragraph says only "in your own words." How brain numbing is that!!??

S4

• loosie
    loosie

Bad times are good for churches." Why so little JW growth?
    Things are bad but not that bad....LOL

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree
    The Watchtower leadership simply does not get it. As life becomes progressively more complex and stress filled, people need more than just dry meetings where you reherse door-to-door talking points. And the constant "do more" drum beat that echos throughout the kingdom halls does not build people up.

Amen. What does WT have to offer? In a time when many have to work longer hours to make ends meet what does WT ask for. More tuff to do! Meetings, service, study, I mean come on.

Isaac

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Being a witless is not only dry and boring, but a waste of assets. People do not have money for necessities these days, and are in danger of losing their homes (and having to live with parents, or worse, on the streets). They have little to turn to for comfort when times are like that, which draws them into religion.

However, the witless religion is a complete waste of what little they do have. You have to waste gas every day for field circus. You have to buy new suits periodically, along with endless dry cleaning bills. Fast "food" is a daily staple for the witlesses, which adds up to more wasted money. Call books, circus bags, and other supplies also waste assets. There is the annual drive to the Grand Boasting Session that further wastes money on traveling expenses and motel rooms.

And let's not forget the ever-present push to donate to the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund. That is all a waste of money. They will create deficits, tell people to donate more, and trust in that Almighty Freeloader that does absolutely nothing to give those people the money to live. Too often, they donate more into the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund than they can afford. Then, they are left in the cold.

When times are tough, would you wish to become more active in a religion that wastes what little you still have? I don't think so.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

SEEKER 4...."Even as we're facing the worst financial and business crisis in modern history, no one is seeking out answers or solace from the WTS."

Well in these tough times ya can go to your local borno/evangelical church and get almost free entertainment "Rockin' to Christ" - what's better ,being entertained or being bored shitless? or ?

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

We all know how praying to God helps your pockets get miraculously full of money........if your a Priest or the Watchtower Society.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Interesting, one fades from the WT and starts allowing real news sources to inform him/her -- the New York Times is one prominent example!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit