NY Times: "Bad times are good for churches." Why so little JW growth?

by Seeker4 36 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

In today's NY Times there is an article on this topic, and here are two quotes:

"Bad times are good for evangelical churches. 'It’s a wonderful time, a great evangelistic opportunity for us,' said the Rev. A. R. Bernard, founder and senior pastor of the Christian Cultural Center in Brooklyn, New York’s largest evangelical congregation, where regulars are arriving earlier to get a seat. 'When people are shaken to the core, it can open doors.'”

Some of these evangelical churches are seeing huge growth - 10 and 20 percent jumps in membership over the past year. Yet the WTS saw barely the same minimal rate of growth - 2% - that it has been suffering under for a decade or more, and no growth or negative numbers in the first world countries that are suffering the worst from this economic crisis.

I think that says a great deal about the waning appeal of the Witnesses. Even as we're facing the worst financial and business crisis in modern history, no one is seeking out answers or solace from the WTS.

S4

• done4good
    done4good

When people are already "feeling bad", due to poor economic conditions, and other stresses, who wants to sit in the KH and get even beet-up even more?

• logic
    logic

If the society did not have all the restraints and rules and door to door ministry they would probably have a lot more members. People in general do not like rules but they do like to have their ears tickled. All religions and the wts in particular try to make people think you can not be religious without being a member of their group. If the society did away with the door to door work I think they would grow like crazy.

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Seeker, you touched on a very important point.

I have noticed that many of these large churches offer so much more to their congregants than the Watchtower does. For example, there is a large church in the community where I live that has free day care for parents who are attending Sunday services. There are free support groups for single mothers, people suffering from depression, and groups for teenagers; among others. These churches realize that the congregation's role is about so much more than just sitting in services twice a week. It is about helping people just deal with life.

What does the Watchtower offer? Well, you get the privilege of turning in a monthy time slip. And, you get the added perk of a traveling overseer coming to tell you that you need to increase the hours on that time slip.

In most of these mainline churches, congregants are viewed as individuals with unique needs; and ones to be cared for. In the Watchtower, members are viewed as employees who are required to comply with a "one size fits all" program of work. In many of the churches, their mission is to build people up into strong autonomous individuals. In the Watchtower, it is mostly about controlling people's thinking and behavior.

The Watchtower leadership simply does not get it. As life becomes progressively more complex and stress filled, people need more than just dry meetings where you reherse door-to-door talking points. And the constant "do more" drum beat that echos throughout the kingdom halls does not build people up.

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Jeremy, you make some good points.

Some of these churches handle what is essentially the equivalent of a JW district convention every weekend. They use their member's talents in the special groups and ministries you mentioned, as well as with professional quality bands, singers, actors etc. I may not agree with much of what is taught, but you've got to admit they make things entertaining!

I can see the appeal and draw that they have. The Witnesses don't trust their member's talents in much of anything. Talks are from detailed outlines or even manuscripts. The music is pre-recorded - hell, it's a wonder they still let us sing! And the dramas are all pre-recorded. The room for artistic creativity is nearly nil in the WTS. At least the churches do better than that.

S4

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Seeker4..Church`s have something to give during hard times.....The WBT$ takes at every opportunity..Jehovah`s Witness`s are sucked dry by the WBT$ and tossed aside if need be...............Clint Eastwood...OUTLAW

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

Logic,

I think it would take more than getting rid of the door-to-door ministry. If at a minimum they let folks openly celebrate birthdays and had a choir, I think the KH would be FULL every sunday. Toss in charity work, Father's day and Mother's day and some kind of childrens program. They would be busting at the seams. If they could top it off with finding a way to celebrate something during the christmas season or even celebrating it in Sept...they would see growth so fast their heads would spin.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Wow... Jeremy and Seeker! I know I felt squelched creatively while I was in, but I never really thought about it in these terms before. You are so right... not only are the programs dry and devoid of life and joy, they are all pre-recorded or very strictly outlined.

Free at last, free at last... or at least I'm still working on being mentally and emotionally free.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis

Seeker4:

Thank you! Great article!

Nevada!-

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    The Witnesses don't trust their member's talents in much of anything. Talks are from detailed outlines or even manuscripts. The music is pre-recorded - hell, it's a wonder they still let us sing! And the dramas are all pre-recorded. The room for artistic creativity is nearly nil in the WTS. At least the churches do better than that.

Very interesting observation. I have a real life experience along these lines. I have a very close friend who is a part time actor and who is a Christian rap artist. Him and I have had many conversations about my JW past. He related to me that about twenty years ago, he was studying with the Witnesses, attending the meetings, and came close to being baptized. He even remembered a few of the popular local JW families that I knew.

He related to me that after engaging in all of this Watchtower activity, something inside him told him that something was amiss with the JWs. He felt that the whole affair was quite dry, monotone, and stiffling. He eventually voted with his feet and left. Today, he is a born again Christian and is currently performing in mega-churches around the country. His Christian hip-hop is inspiring a lot of young people within the churches. He recently released a new CD, all with the blessing of his pastor!

Could you imagine a Witness who wanted to do something like this? He'd be in the back room with the elders in no time flat. Just imagine what JW meetings and conventions could be like if JWs were allowed to employ their abilities and talents without having to be micro-managed and having their hands held by Brooklyn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit