Quitting smoking (again)

by DanTheMan 20 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I managed to stay off the bloody things for over 2 1/2 yrs but alas I fell off the wagon in September.

My plan is to ramp-down today by only having a cig every two hours or so, then cold turkey tomorrow. I have a hard time holding myself to 'quit days' when I'm the only one who knows what day it is, hence I'm making it public so that I feel more accountable.

Wish me luck!

• rebel8
    rebel8

Good luck Dan! You can do it--there are millions of ex-smokers.

Cold turkey is the method with the lowest success rate though....and hardest. Are you trying to torture yourself?!

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

every two hours, how to you handle that at work?

good luck...

lisa

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

"To cease smoking is the easiest thing. I ought to know. I've done it a thousand times." - Mark Twain

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Rebel8, my ramp-down really started yesterday so I'm not going from full-on to zero in one day. I'm sure tomorrow isn't going to be a lot of fun. The nicotine cravings tend to come in waves, and when a wave hits...well if you've been a smoker then you know how strong the urge is and how torturous it is to fight it.

Lisa, I'm not working today so no prob on the two hour intervals.

FD, yep, I've quit smoking a number of times, probably at least 20, seriously. Every time I've been off of them for a while, I get the notion that 'wouldn't it be nice to have just one cigarette' and then I'm hooked again.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Soooo, not smoking at work isn't a problem? Maybe you just need to stay busy? Real busy!

lisa

• Mulan
    Mulan

Dan, get the patch. It really works.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I started smoking again in January after quitting for 15+ years.

I love to smoke, loved it before.

I don't see me quitting anytime soon.

Having met you Dan, I just can't picture you with a cigarette hanging out of your mouth.

and probably ditto about me with one hanging out of mine.

good luck,

purps

• noni1974
    noni1974

I quit in September. Good luck. I used the patch and a class to help me. Maybe you could look into a class?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Purps, yah I don't think I look cool when I smoke (or when I'm doing anything else for that matter!)

Mulan and Noni, I've never tried the patch but I have used Nicorette gum in the past. I just became really addicted to the gum.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit