Quitting smoking (again)

by DanTheMan 20 Replies latest jw friends

• noni1974
    noni1974

When I quit I was afraid I would get addicted to the patch myself. However I kept forgetting to put it on so I just stopped using it about 3 weeks into my quitting. I still have 2 full boxes of patches and one half box. I used the kind where you step down. The program started with a 21MG patch I was supposed to be on for 4 weeks. Then it went to a 14MG patch I was supposed to be on for 2 weeks and then a 7MG patch for another 2 weeks. I also used Commit Lozenges when I had real bad cravings. I also used deep breathing I was taught in class and other things I was taught in class. Try calling 1-800-quitnow. They might be able to get you into a program for smoking. The point is you don't have to do this alone.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Noni I think i can get by without the patch, I've done it before. So far so good on the ramp-down, the two hour intervals are just right.

• SPAZnik
  • Snoozy
    Snoozy

Quitting cold turkey was the only thing that worked for me.

Also not being around smokers if I could help it.

Just ask yourself if you want to hang around very long...

What kind of life do I want when I retire...

Do I want to be on a oxygen tank when I am retired?

I just posted this on another site , my daughter's FIL is in his 70's and they had big plans to travel etc when he retired. Well he now has emphesema and can't breathe..he is in the hospital at least once a week..he is going downhill fast. He loved to play golf..served on Kiwanis and all kinds of charities etc. They have plenty of money to do whatever they want..or so they thought..now she will be alone soon. All because he thought he really needed a cigarette..his wife hounded him constantly about smoking and now it is too late.

Don't wait until it is too late...you never know when that date will hit you. Once you hear the words."You have Cancer" or "You have emphesema" you can't turn back.

http://www.quitsmoking.com/kopykit/reports/body.htm

http://www.myxer.com/ringtone:65607
    Click on it and hear yourself if you don't quit!

http://pbskinds.org/itsmylife/body/smoking/article2.html

Snoozy..who has watched too many suffer because of "I will quit tomorrow".

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Been off over 2 years

Forget the patches
    Damn things never stay lit!!

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

K, the day is here. No cravings yet. I've got plenty to keep me busy today too: xmas shopping; house cleaning; helping my mom put up her tree; etc.

Thanks everybody for your encouragement. I'll be checking in here a couple of times today just to keep myself honest.

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Good luck making though the day.

lisa

• Quandry
    Quandry

The next time you want to reach for "just one" think:

You are supporting a very large corporation and getting NOTHING but ill health in return.

I also saw my father and mother barely able to breath before they died. Their house was coated with yellow from the nicotine, and had a stale cig smell. So did their clothes, which also had burn holes. I used to live in fear that mother would set the place on fire smoking in bed. They never would spend money for anything nice, but would buy cigarretes no matter what.

This foul habit shortened their lives and made them gasp for air before it was all over. My mother could go nowhere without oxyen and would get panicked when she could not catch her breath.

They exchanged all their last years that could have been spent doing fun things with me and my daughter for this disgusting habit. Please do NOT let yourself go back again.....when tempted go onlive and view pictures of smoker's lungs.

Never give up.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Argh...gritting my teeth right now...halfway through it...

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Run around the block in this freezing Ohio air.

lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit