JW'S art of celebrating without celebrating...

by kzjw 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• NowImFree
    NowImFree

My JW sister and her JW family celebrate "family day" in January. They do this on their anniversay which is early January and it involves feasting on a big family dinner, wrapped gifts being exchanged among the whole family and decorations. It looks like Christmas, sounds like Christmas and smells like Christmas, but they say it's not Christmas. And they cannot spend any time with non-JW family member during the Holidays.

Another hypocritcal story for you. I have a friend who disassociated and she is married to a JW elder. So that he would not have to spend Thankgiving day and weekend with his wife(my friend) other members at the kingdom hall invited him for Thanksgiving and the entire weekend, which involved feasting and having a good time with other JWs. But he could not spend it with his wife and kids.

How sick is this? What a family destroying religion.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

GaryBuss said:

All witnesses I know, "observe" holidays. To "observe" means they watch. We "observed" fireworks displays. Many with jobs "respect" the holiday by receiving bonuses, and taking paid days off. So . . . when Witnesses I know say they don't "celebrate" holidays, I condone that, while I know they "observe" and "respect".

The one thing the Witnesses advertise that they do "celebrate", they celebrate with disrespect. They "celebrate" the Christian sacraments in their passover play, with "contempt", by most all refusing the offered bread and wine. They turn it into a black mass.

I went along for a couple of years fixing my family anything but turkey on Thanksgiving (didn't want to "not please" Jehovah ya know) but when I realized that just about every JW family I knew was eating turkey, having JW friends over, and watching football on TV.....I began to do the same and continued with this for the balance of 30 years. WHAT was the difference between what WE were doing....and what our doomed and evil
    worldly" neighbors were doing? (I never did wrap my head around that one)

We brought our kids to see the fireworks on July 4th, we accepted gifts on Christmas from well-meaning relatives and neighbors, but being "good JWs" we cheerfully (and smugly) avoided returning any warm greetings of Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays or even a quick Happy New Year, although we WOULD BE entering a new year just like anyone else. We just weren't allowed to acknowledge it.

Go figure.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

BluesBrother

"At this time of year, you can only buy seasonal food in the shops"

That's right. There haven't been any fruit or vegetables available during the Christmas season. I've been living solely on fruit mince pies and eggnog for the last two months. Or maybe that's just me.

• garybuss
    garybuss

We actually had an elder electrocuted here by accident one Christmas. He sat on a fruitcake and got the currant up his ass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit