JW'S art of celebrating without celebrating...

by kzjw 13 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• kzjw
    kzjw

WTF people??!

I mean if jw's can watch &/or purchase Xmas movies, toys and other stuff during the holiday season, then isn't that celebrating? We went out & bought a an X-Box 360(the $400 one!) along with other toys & shit for the kids & I'm like, "shouldn't the FDS be on a campaign? maybe a talk titled -- "Watch over the flock & their untimely spending in the ides of December"? I wonder, does this happens in many jw families, or is it just me? Smacks of hypocracy...I must still be bitter about missing the last 14 Xmases -- I wish I could say "Merry X-ma - I mean Merry Christmas" again...

kzjw

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Tell me about it. Almost every year my parents send my kids stuff before Christmas. None of the items are wrapped but it's always around this time of year. My mother even sends tins of cookies and popcorn and wouldn't ya know it there are Christmas themes on the outside of the tins. Amazing enough my kids aren't confused by this.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

"Well, if everybody is off work we might as well get together as a family"

"At this time of year, you can only buy seasonal food in the shops"

"What else can you watch on T V except the Christmas specials?" (Did you see the Queen's speech. Granny makes us all watch" - U K readers only might get that one.

So, in fact , apart from the cards , presents, decorations, and religious services..they have a good time like anybody else..

• sacolton
    sacolton

It's a known loophole.

They won't celebrate Thanksgiving, but they will accept Thanksgiving leftovers.

They won't celebrate birthdays, but they will eat leftover birthday cake.

They won't celebrate Christmas, but they have no problem accepting a Christmas present.

They won't celebrate the 4th of July, but they have no problem buying firecrackers.

They won't celebrate Halloween, but they will watch Halloween movies and eat Halloween candy.

They won't celebrate Valentines Day, but they will accept flowers on that day.

You get the picture.

• Nowman
    Nowman

I was an only child growing up JW, my parents always took me shopping during the X-mas break so that I would have some new clothes to wear to school like the other kids. They also used to take me on alot of vacations too. This is where my parents confused me, they beat the crap out of me, but they would do nice things like this...then it would go back to beating/verbally abusing me, then it was new clothes, and a surprise trip to Disney World???

Nikki

• carla
    carla

They don't mind stealing candy from stockings, halloween bags, and Easter baskets either.

• sacolton
    sacolton
    We went out & bought a an X-Box 360(the $400 one!)

Good! Keep stimulating the economy! Every dollar helps!

• IWillBeDubbedNoMore
    IWillBeDubbedNoMore

When my sister and I were young. Her around 11 and me 14 we studied with my aunt. Afterwards we both decided and told our mother that we didn’t want to celebrate Christmas anymore. Our mother never pushed any religious belief on us. She allowed us the freedom to choose for ourselves so we stopped Christmas. Every year my sister and I would not receive any presents and my Aunt would buy my cousins( her children) winter recess presents. It always seemed like Christmas presents to me. It has always been a sore point with my sister and I.

My mother loved the holidays and I know she missed celebrating them. The one holiday that she was able to continue was Thanksgiving. She would invite everyone over for a meal because they all had the day off. She always made a turkey with all the trimmings. As long as you didn’t call it celebrating it was ok. Later on when one of my cousins married a diehard and turned down the invitation so that she wouldn’t stumble anyone( Who"). My mom changed the day of invite to Friday. So that was our new Thanksgiving day.

My mom has since past. This Thanksgiving we ate at a cousins house on Thanksgiving Day. He is an elder and we had both Turkey and ham. But it wasn’t a thanksgiving celebration. We ate turkey because it was on sale.

• sacolton
    sacolton

Geeeez ... how convenient. Did the Israelites buy idols when they went on sale? Same mentality. Oh, can't celebrate Thanksgiving, but we can buy a bird on that day because they are on sale. My JW in-laws always went to their worldly relatives house for Thanksgiving because it was a "family get-together", so that made it A-OK. See, they just need to find a loophole and they can sleep good at night (with a full belly).

• garybuss
    garybuss

All witnesses I know, "observe" holidays. To "observe" means they watch. We "observed" fireworks displays. Many with jobs "respect" the holiday by receiving bonuses, and taking paid days off. So . . . when Witnesses I know say they don't "celebrate" holidays, I condone that, while I know they "observe" and "respect".

The one thing the Witnesses advertise that they do "celebrate", they celebrate with disrespect. They "celebrate" the Christian sacraments in their passover play, with "contempt", by most all refusing the offered bread and wine. They turn it into a black mass.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit