How To Get Fired as Congregation Secretary!

by metatron 12 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Very simple, really. Say that Witnesses are responsible adults and as such, need to turn in their field service reports on time without a lot of reminders.

Don't check up on them by phone asking 'where's your time this month?'. I know that doing things like this can get you canned as Secretary. How come?

Because this is how they maintain their inflated publisher numbers! ('Come on Sister, you must have talked to someone this month...') By the way, if you're tired of being Secretary

this might be a way out. The C.O. will erupt after seeing the numbers drop.

metatron

• abbagail
    abbagail

ha! I can't imagine someone hounding me to do something I already knew I "had to" do (back in JW Land, that is).

It would irk me to have someone calling me about it.

But I learned something from your post... so that's how they added an hour here and there for Sis So-and-So, or Bro-No-and-No... via the Cong Secy calling and applying a little Theocratic pressure for them to fudge an hour or so...

"Well, yes, you're right, brother, I guess I did speak to that lady in the grocery line the other day... Thank you for reminding me... So, will 10 minutes suffice for this month?"

;-D

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

An even better way would be to feed all the field circus slips to the shredder. Do not report anything. When the hounder-hounder comes and sees all the zeros and no-slips, he is going to have Marfans syndrome and probably start chewing out the whole congregation. Many of who will hopefully leave and never go back.

And you will never have to worry about getting another theocraptic job again.

• SnakesInTheTower
    SnakesInTheTower

metatron:

Don't check up on them by phone asking 'where's your time this month?'. I know that doing things like this can get you canned as Secretary. How come?

I never did as secretary. I figured people were either grown adults or had grown adults to watch over them.

When time reports were not complete and the CO would chew me out, I would show the CO the worksheet I printed out for each conductor. It was an alphabetical list of all publishers in their group...with their telephone number...and columns for each figure.... it was up to the CBSO to contact each publisher in person or by phone. I provided this in a labeled manila envelope each month with their name and group on it... the CBSO would take the slips, transfer the info to the work sheet, and put the original slips and sheet into the envelope ...and either give it to me or put it in the field circus box at the KH... I collected 5 or 6 envelopes...not 100 slips... If something was missing I would send ONE email to the conductor...no time wasted on the phone....

Once the CO seen I had a perfectly workable system (that one jackass elder who used to be secretary and now is again didnt like because it meant more work for him and less for me), the CO left me alone and went after the others....

hmmmm... most of the other elders liked the system because they could keep good track of their group (they made copies of the worksheet, plus I gave them monthly updates from the database).....

yet I was fired as secretary (and then elder)...because I refused to show up for a quarterly elders meeting (long story, probably told elsewhere)..

glad I aint wasting my time doing that anymore...

Snakes ()

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

This is true. I was basically forced into admitting "15 minutes" of field service time one month. I guess the Secretary couldn't bear the thought of me being irregular.

(I should have told him that I'm on a high-fiber diet.)

• shopaholic
    shopaholic

This is true. I was basically forced into admitting "15 minutes" of field service time one month. I guess the Secretary couldn't bear the thought of me being irregular.

I remember my the elders stopping by and basically trying to get my mom to submit at least one hour during several months when she was traveling back and forth a lot to help her dying father. They would ask "What about the family study?" and she would tell them that she had the oldest child conduct it. Then they would ask if she talked to anyone while she was traveling and she tell them no and that she used that time to catch up on sleep. Then they would ask if she talked about anything spiritual with her kids or UBM or clients at work or anyone because 3 months had gone by and she had not turned in any time.

That's when she got upset. My mom was so dog tired from working, a house full of kids and a husband to care for and her last living parent that lived across the country was dying. She snapped and told them that she didn't have any time and asked what more did they want...for her to lie. Then Br. S told her not to worry, they would just submit 1 hour for each month because they were sure she had time but was to probably too distressed to remember.

Same thing with me as a pioneer. I was traveling a lot for work and they saw me in service when I was town but did not turn in my time for two months and then I gave it to the secretary mid month while I remembered. He told me I wasn't missing any time. Evidently someone had simply duplicated my time from the last reported month for the next two. But that also meant that someone had banked 30+ phantom hours for me. Like an idiot I actually made up the phantom hours.

• Ozner
    Ozner

A very close family-member was Secretary: he did not call the publishers by phone, but did something else: he just wrote some hours on their report, to keep them regular publishers and to keep the total hours of the congregation on track... ((:

• abbagail
    abbagail

They really should just QUIT the whole numbers game! Sounds like all it causes is pressure and deceipt.

Sort of like required-tithing in other churches... once the pastors wake up to Paul's words that they should give "nothing out of necessity" (as I heard one testimony), and it was announced to the church members, they actually gave more after that out of FREEDOM and not PRESSURE.

WT ought to try it. The JWs might like it.

But I guess fear rules in WT Land.

/ag

• lancelink
    lancelink

In 1979 there was a pioneer brother who decided one month that "counting time" was not the biblical correct thing to do and just stopped it,he still did his time, yet he did not report it.

my goodness, you would have thought that he killed someone with all the attention he got!

last i heard he is not pioneering or attending meetings anymore, i guess that thinking for yourself is a bad thing.

• is there help out there
    is there help out there

If I was a JW out on field service I would give out a cookie with every copy of Awake.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit