Are the Mormons a cult?

by JimmyPage 19 Replies latest jw friends

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Looking at JW videos on youtube the Mormons are also portrayed as a cult. I know they have some unusual beliefs, but are they a cult? And if so, are they as much a high control group as the JW's are? (I'm just asking cuz I'm acquainted with a few Mormons. Believe me, I have no desire to join them.)

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If you ask a born again christian.

The answer would be yes.

If you ask a Morman.

The answer would be no.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

They {like Scientologists} believe Jesus lives on another planet with his heavenly followers.......they wear Temple "skirts" under their clothes..the don't drink beer which is by far the wierdest thing of all!

• yknot
    yknot

That is hard for me right now....... I am friends with many of the Mormons in my town.

Cult is such a strong word in our society (yea I would use it with the Scientologists)

Since I can't find one denomination that doesn't have some man-led 'imperfections' in their doctrines why should I hurl stones at this one?

I think I will take the middle road (fence sitting)...... I think most are sweet people but they are misled in some of their religious thinking.

I pray for them and they pray for me.

• carla
    carla

Check out an ex jw board (like the Mormon Curtain) and they sound exactly like you guys, just different doctrinal issues. Ruined families, shunning, finding out it all was a lie, scholarly dishonesty, you name it, they have many of the same complaints that ex jw's have. However, Mormon children have it far better than jw children. Those children are able to join things, have friends, celebrate holidays, education and so on. (not talking about the fundamentalist Mormons here)

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

If the Mormons had knocked on my father's door before the JWs I would still be the Black Sheep of the family, but for not believing a different set of doctrines.

When confronted with evidence that his religeous leaders might be wrong he would still use the same mantra to protect his faith, "These people are Bible scholars", "These people are spirit directed", " Because it's The Truth".

Cheers

Chris

• abbagail
    abbagail

I thought the "cult" title (in a "religious sense") was only bestowed on groups who deny the Diety of Jesus Christ, which the Mormons do, as do the JWs.

Let me clarify: In a "Christian religious sense," I thought the "cult" term was applied to those groups who deny the Diety of Jesus Christ.

• ninja
    ninja

the mormons put the "fun" in fundamental......whereas the JW's put the "mental" in fundamental

• abbagail
    abbagail

Ha! to ninja. Brilliant.

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

Ninja, ou crack me up, as usual!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit