And this is why JW's think we are all crazy nutjobs

by lola28 60 Replies latest members adult

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

I agree with you Lola. However free speech is what it is. That ideas that don't make sense are voiced is part of the price we pay for free speech. Diligence in refuting it is another. And refute it we must.

Isaac

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C
    Me too, it makes it very hard to really trust and believe in anything that gets posted here.

It is usually easy to spot the legitamate information from the nonsense. Common sense is usually the best guide. There is a treasure trove of research on here regarding Watchtower doctrine, teachings, and policies that are well substantiated.

However, when someone makes a bizarre claim and then provides a link to an obscure website or another ex-JW related site as the sole source, it is safe to assume that it is B.S.

The gray areas are usually the rumors regarding future policy changes within the organization that have not yet been substantiated. They are fascinating to discuss, but should be taken with a grain of salt.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

JW`s tend to paint everyone with the same brush..That`s they`re problem,not mine.......................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

• Farkel
    Farkel

It is obvious that anyone who exagerates something wrong with the WTS with the intent to deceive or even worse, makes up stuff is doing a disservice not only to themselves, but to JWs who might be receptive to facts.

But it can be even more serious than the egregious examples listed in this thread. A well-meaning apostate could write a piece that trashes some WT doctrine/policy, yet get one very insignificant item wrong, and JWs will ignore everything presented BUT that one little wrong item and say, "See? This is wrong. Therefore everything else presented is probably wrong, too." One must be VERY careful with how one presents information and clearly information for what it is: facts, rumor, hunch, or speculation.

There is something else to consider. Say someone is mentally ill, even deranged and is a dub. That person gets DFd and therefore becomes an apostate. That same person starts writing anti-WT articles. Did that deranged person miraculously become sane when he/she left the JWs?

NO!

BTW, I listened to that audio in question about the Satanic stuff. It's a shame that person shared the same audio with Barbara Anderson who has a reputation for solid facts, honesty and integrity beyond any dispute. I felt it was very inappropriate to have both people in the same forum.

Farkel

• restrangled
    restrangled

Lola 28...

as a community we have to be more responsible about the things we say and just as people we have to do our best to be decent to others.

There is no need to lie or exagerate. To do so, takes away from the legitimacy of real stories and real people.....making everyone look like idiots.

r.

• rebel8
    rebel8

I agree with what you said, lola.

Of course, none of us are claiming there is no problem with child molestation among jws, just for the record. There is.

I also believe it is possible, in an international organization comprised of millions of extremists, that a few of them are Satanists or whatever. I just have no reason to believe that it was a widespread conspiracy.

For me, having no reason to believe something does not equal me denying it could be true. It just means I have insufficient evidence to believe it, so I don't waste my energy stewing over it. Or relishing it, as the case may be.

In any organization there are behind-the-scenes goings on. Satanism seems far fetched.

What happened with Linda and Trevor, and who was the imaginary person receiving gifts?

• LockedChaos
    LockedChaos

Lola

Everyone should do the homework
    There is a lot of research material
    available on any topic
    It simply takes WORK

Some of the silliest comments
    have pointed me in a research
    direction I may not have otherwise
    taken

Much has been learned
    Much is still to be learned

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

As moderators we have tried to limit certain discussions that present information such as mentioned above.

There is so much that can be proved. There is no reason to go into the things that cannot be proven. We have removed them, locked them, restricted and deleted people who post them and still they come.

Sometimes I wonder about the wisdom of removing them. Plenty of people here are ready to jump in and discount them and I think that goes to our credit. And I think that is better then wiping them off the database.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee
    I think that for some the hatred and anger has managed to slowly replace common sense.

This is true, as are your other observations.

You describe us as a "community" and I guess we are. But we are a very diverse and anonymous community. We chafe when there is too much censorship here, but the price we pay is that that means there is an uncensored platform for nutjobs, too. In the natural course of give and take, the village idiots get identified, chastised and/or ignored.

I don't worry too much about sincere JW's coming here and getting turned off by one loose cannon. Whatever sent them searching will not go away because they encounter odd comments here. Sitting in meetings, bombarded with ridiculous comments will take its toll on intelligent people no matter what happens here.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

and of course there are some crazy nut job ex-JWs

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit