"Draw close to God, and he will"....never speak to you.....

by oompa 74 Replies latest watchtower bible

• oompa
    oompa

Well me and Bonnzo got to go to a big JW funeral today (Oh what fun!)...in a High School Auditorium...so i see Bonnzo in the crowd and texted him during the service that i could see him, and I was so hoping he had not put his cell on vibrate, but he had....darn it

so my mind was wandering, and i have been wondering what it would take for me to get ANY of my faith back (i'm agnostic now)...and this scripture pops in my head:

(James4:8)8 Draw close to God, and he will draw close to YOU. . . .

And i thought maybe it would be nice to be close to god....and then i thought about Bonnzo...we talk a lot and laugh and all....and then i thought how stupid to me it seems that you could ever get close to someone... and have them as a true friend if you did ALL the talkin and they never spoke back, never wrote you, never skyped you, never gave you any sign or anything...pretty much you talk and talk and they frikkin ignore you...so no wonder i dont pray anymore........oompa

• gymbob
    gymbob

You make a good point, after all, what normal thinking person wouldn't want to have a relationship with the creator of the universe?? I sure would. But, these days I have no need for an invisible friend who never talks back.... Gymbob

• oompa
    oompa

thank you gymbob...for some reason most people just don't grasp how "deep" oompa is!..........oomps

• gymbob
    gymbob

Could be your picture......

• Robdar
    Robdar
    and then i thought how stupid to me it seems that you could ever get close to someone... and have them as a true friend if you did ALL the talkin and they never spoke back, never wrote you, never skyped you, never gave you any sign or anything...pretty much you talk and talk and they frikkin ignore you...so no wonder i dont pray anymore........oompa

If you just talked to a person but never learned listening skills, how could you call that person your friend?

Two way communication involves listening skills. It also involves knowing how to communicate. When you talk to God, do you first draw close in love and then begin talking? Or do you just ramble on and on with you being the chief subject of conversation?

Learn how to be silent. Learn to be still. It is only in the centered stillness of your being that you will ever hear God answer.

• gymbob
    gymbob

"It is only in the centered stillness of you being" (?) Can you please define what that is suppose to mean?

• Robdar
    Robdar

well, i wrote you an answer but something flubbed up with JWD and I was told I do not have access. Whatever that means.

Hopefully this post will post. After my date is over, I will attempt to answer again. Right now, I have places to be and people to do.

• gymbob
    gymbob

Robdar~

I eagerly await your response.....

• Jeremy C
    Jeremy C

Religion has conditioned people to engage with God like a cosmic parent. It is only in the past year or so that I have realized how absurd this is.

How many times have we observed religious leaders, pastors, and writers who are convinced that God talks to them; only to make absolute asses out of themselves and their members.

The Watchtower Governing Body is getting one message. Joseph Smith also had his cozy moments with God. Herbert Armstrong received other guidance. George W. Bush is receiving his messages. And Jim Jones got his marching orders as well. Jewish settlers are convinced that God gave them that land they are deffending with their guns. All of these people are or were convinced that God talks to them. As if the omnipotent power of the universe would be so petty as to care about who occupies a piece of land in the Middle East, or who becomes President.

Could it possibly be their subconscious mind playing tricks with them?

• oompa
    oompa
    Robdar: Two way communication involves listening skills. It also involves knowing how to communicate.

Very good Rob, and thanks for agreeing with me. To be my friend and to get to know God, I too, feel like communication involves listening skills. Funny thing is that I have started every single conversation with God! Thanks for helping me see that maybe God just has very poor listening skills! Cause he has never replied to me in over 40 years...not once.

Robdar: When you talk to God, do you first draw close in love and then begin talking?

This was very helpful Robdar, but I kind of think that would be moving way too fast for me....I just feel we should be friends FIRST...and then get into the I LOVE YOU thingy.

Robdar: Or do you just ramble on and on with you being the chief subject of conversation? Learn how to be silent. Learn to be still. It is only in the centered stillness of your being that you will ever hear God answer.

I mostly just ramble on since no mater how many probing questions I ask, and beg to get to know him...he STILL won't talk to me dammit! I feel really stupid when i ramble on like that...cause since he already knows everything about me...in and out...why the hey am i talkin anyway? It seems like since he know more about me than me him...that HE should start the conversation dammit!

But anyway, I just tried it your way....I went to a dark bedroom and knelt down with my arms on the bed.....I became very silent......I even centered my being in stillness.....and had an intensely heartfelt....one way conversation again with the Almighty....Robdar, since this two-way communication thing requires listening skills would you PLEASE talk to him about his need to improve in this area...and get back to me with his response on this matter....i mean...i don't mean to complain but after 40 plus years of multiple prayers a day...i would really like a little two-way converstion....Thanks Robdar...............oompa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit