Volunteering at Assemblies.

by LouBelle 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Come on I know many of you did.

I used to volunteer because 1. my mum forced me as a kid, then 2. I wisend up to the fact I'd miss quite a bit of the session if I volunteered.

Many hours were spent cleaning stadiums, the loos (vomit), picking up litter. In the days when they served meals at the assemblies we peeled potatoes, chopped onions, cooked, served the food / cooldrinks. Took the tickets. Seems the sisters also had all the boring duties....why couldn't I go with the brothers in the back of the van and drive up and down collecting boxes of tickets.

I could have held a sign that read "kee quiet" or "keep moving". You brothers had it easy!

• Undecided
    Undecided

I did at about every assembly I attended when I was a teenager, I washed dishes,dumped trash cans, etc. I was in charge of the rooming at the circuit assembly when my dad died a few weeks before the assembly. My brother was the sound servant at the circuit assemblies when he was about 20 years old.

We were very theocratic minded back then. We both left in our forties, well he was in his fifties. We are so much closer now as real brothers.

Ken P.

• Honesty
    Honesty

I didn't have to volunteer.

The PO volunteered al the servuntz.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    You brothers had it easy!

You betcha. Elders and MS's learned early on to volunteer for the best jobs.
    Attendants and watchmen during an assembly/convention had it pretty easy.
    The guys in charge would sit at a table in the hallway and laugh and talk
    during the entire assembly, paying little attention to the talks. The brothers
    who did seating would miss much of the beginning of the talks and periodically
    get up to count and miss more. The tradeoff was often missing part of the
    lunch period to do something, but it was a small tradeoff.

Back in the 'serving food' days, the sisters had their chore to allow missing part
    of the talks. I bet many miss that, but don't miss being there early to make the
    food.

Bathroom cleaning or trash collection was not too bad. You had to do that just
    at the end of the breaks and you could linger and milk it into a long time.

The best jobs were watchmen jobs. You had to go watch an area usually outside
    of the major walkways, perhaps outside. I always thought the worst jobs were in
    parking. Heat and weather, longer hours.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

I was the toilet guy.....I got to know my wife by cleaning loo's together....I then asked her out...Witnessing! Durr...And there you go a very...not romantic story.

• undercover
    undercover

I was an involuntary volunteer when I was a kid and my folks made me...later it was ingrained in that I "just had" to volunteer. It was the greatest feeling when I started going inactive and I didn't volunteer and I just sat in my seat and snoozed...

I worked in foodservice...cooking in the good old hot food days, then making sandwiches in the cold food days. I worked in expediting food from the kitchen to the stands, unloading trucks, dishwashing, cleaning, restocking.

Later I joined the attendant ranks. I was the obnoxious little jerk who told you sisters you couldn't park your baby stroller in the aisle...boy I made some sisters mad.

I was a parking lot attendant. JWs sure are terrible drivers...

My best remembered attendant job was when I "guarded" the secret lair of all the convention bigwigs. I saw all the local heavyweight elders, all the Bethel heavies and the GB god that was in attendance. Even though there was a closed circuit TV broadcasting what was happening on stage, no one paid any attention to it. They talked business, sports, told jokes and everything else that we get counseled on for talking about at spritual events. It was an early eye-opener to just how non-spirit-directed these men really were.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I did attendant and kitchen duties.

attendant was cool, except for the legs.... they did not allow sitting down.

I thought kitchen duty was cool because I could socialize with the sisters..... most of the good ones would not give you the time of day one you answered the dreaded question.... "are you in bethel".... I would say, "no, but I'm a MS in congregation xxxxx". seems like the conversation came to a halt 98% of the time

• Beep,Beep
    Beep,Beep

Yes I did. I did food service and liked it. Might have had something to do with the fact that I was a teenage boy and all those teenage girls were there.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I got volunteered several times--not once did I take the initiative. Once I got stuck guarding the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund box at a Grand Boasting Session. Once I got stuck helping with the distribution of the "new light" at a Grand Boasting Session, and had two of them to hand out. Once I got stuck washing the fruit at a Great Boasting Session.

These days, the only "new light" I distribute is that which comes from the Christmas bulbs that I set up. They find it hard to volunteer me if I don't show up.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Food Service..Got me out of sitting through endless boreing talks..Did that from the time I could peel a potatoe..LOL!!..................Laughing Mutley...OUTLAW

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit