Volunteering at Assemblies.

by LouBelle 27 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle
    the bill counting machine could count it

WHAT??? how much money did they pull in - good lord.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I even voulenteered to go to newark, nj and load all the truck with food that was going to the DC's.

they had a distribution center set-up there.

I noticed that the coffee going to english assemblies was diffrent from the ones going to the spanish assemblies

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Well... let me chime in with a 'meee tooo'.

From when I was a youngster - I remember 'volunteering'. Back then, the circuit assemblies were held at local high schools. We had access to the kitchen areas, and lunchrooms - and I remember one year volunteering in the foodservice. Had to get up pretty early to do that. (Plus - I think I had a crush on a gal... who didn't even know I existed.)

Later on - I was interested in electronics... didn't know squat - but would sorta meander over back stage and just hang around - with the 'cool' guys who would twist the magic knobs and adjust the microphones. Eventually - after trying unsuccessfully to 'shoo' me away - they finally let me stay and learn what did what.

Later on when I got older - I was even allowed to adjust the microphone for the speaker (a cherished priveledge).

I also got to help set up and tear down the sound equipment before and after the assemblies.

I liked to go - during the talks - of course - and 'check the sound levels' - which meant roaming the halls and putting an ear up near the speakers - official-looking - to make sure that the volume was loud enuf.

I was always bored at the assemblies that I had to sit and 'listen'. No girlfriends... no guyfriends... so, I had to find something to keep me occupied and awake.

Regards,

Jim TX

• loosie
    loosie
    WHAT??? how much money did they pull in - good lord.

Well LouBelle they had at least 8-10 long tables set up. They would empty out 4 to 5 tall contribution boxes on each table. Our job was too stack the ones in a pile the fives in a pile and so forth. Then the brother would take the piles to the bill counting table. Sisters weren't allowed to work on that table only the special brothers could. Because they would then know the actually dollar amounts.

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I noticed that the coffee going to english assemblies was diffrent from the ones going to the spanish assemblies

Please, please elaborate.

Yes, do.

Sylvia

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the only thing I can remember was that they were diffrent brand.

nothing really bad..... just a diffrent brand.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I remeber asking a bro "why" and he said the spanish have a diffrent taste

• loosie
    loosie
    I remeber asking a bro "why" and he said the spanish have a diffrent taste

I think they gave you a line of BS. I used to work at Carl's Jr as a youngster, and we served the same coffee to the spanish as we did the non spanish customers. It's not like the WT to cater to one groups personal taste.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit