Know any cases from platform or audience of "apostate" remarks?

by Gregor 16 Replies latest jw experiences

• blondie
    blondie

That reading of DA letters must have been before my time or a peculiar practice by individual congregations. I started going to meetings in the early 50's at an age to remember.

I can remember it being announced that someone had returned to "Christendom" and some weeks later a talk being given about it being an act of disassociation. I can remember being warned to throw out "apostate" literature and not accepting another religion's publications. I can also remember being told how to act if approached by "apostates" when coming to and from assemblies/conventions. I can also remember being warned not to watch religious programs on TV or listen to the radio.

For the most part they avoided calling attention to any individuals or groups not wanting to make people curious and investigate secretly.

Blondie

• Gregor
    Gregor

Thanks, Blondie.

I didn't phrase my topic very well. What I meant was someone making public meeting statements that refuted the WTS. I wonder if a brave soul were to give an anti-Watchtower talk if some in the audience would not even be paying attention. On the other hand, would someone have go up to the platform and try to physically stop one who was making such remarks.

• blondie
    blondie

Gregor, I suppose in the talk were short and the end contained the "apostate" remarks, someone could possibly get away with it like Littletoe did without being forceable removed from the platform. I'm sure that it would be viewed as da'ing oneself.

I have suggested that if someone wanted as many jws as possible to read what they have to say is to either send it to their friends simultaneously and hope that they will read it privately. Or it could be posted in a local paper as well.

Blondie

• Gregor
    Gregor

I guess I can hijack my own thread. How is Ian doing? Anyone know?

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    guess I can hijack my own thread. How is Ian doing? Anyone know?

I asked mary a while back about him. She talks to him from time to time. I really hope we hear from him before the board closes!!

• jacethespace
    jacethespace

Would be good if someone started on a disscussion of say 1914 and then in the talk added on how the watchtower predicted the end would come in 1887-1914-1975 etc,Then add " but we are sure the end will come " " Maybe one day ".

Might give people a lot to think about.

Basically use the "truth " back on them.Expose all the wathctower screw ups but put it all in a positive light as you reveal them.

• Athanasius
    Athanasius

When I was the TM School overseer I once voiced guarded criticism of the NWT from the platform. We were discussing public reading, so I told the students to look up Esther 6:6, as this was part of the week's Bible reading. Then we read the verse in the NWT which says: "When Haman came in, the king proceeded to say to him: 'What is to be done to the man in whose honor the king himself has taken delight?'" I then asked the audience if that is the way they would normally express themselves. Not really, I said. Then I said that we would probably use expressions similar to those found in the Today's English Version Bible which translates the same verse this way: "So Haman came in, and the king said to him, 'There is someone I wish very much to honour. What should I do for this man?'" Next I mentioned that since the NWT isn't written the way we generally speak, that it is important that we really practice reading out loud before we give talk number 2, which at the time was the Bible reading.

So I was able to expose the woodeness of the NWT and the superiority of another Bible translation at the same time. But to protect my rear, make it appear as counsel on public reading.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit