Ah, The Note Book. What a movie.

by LouBelle 20 Replies latest jw friends

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

You know if someone said to me that they just had to be near me... It is a brilliant love story. I'm not really into huge romance stories but now and again, I wouldn't mind it. Ah, only but a dream.

• inkling
    inkling
    if someone said to me that they just had to be near me...

ah, what you are looking for is a stalker.

• GoddessRachel
    GoddessRachel

Ah, LouBelle, you shouldn't settle for anything less, My Dear. You should be with someone who you want to be near and who wants to be near you, and there it is.

What I liked about The Notebook is it was the same old story of "star-crossed lovers," and parents who think they know best, but this time they actually do what is best for them and live a long wonderful life together. Beautiful.

Rachel

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I liked the movie, except for one thing. The girls giggling and screeching so much I was embarrassed to be female. YIKES. But the story was sweet and I love a happy ending. However it gets that way:)

• jgnat
    jgnat

I read the book. If the movie's plot is the same, I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it. The protagonist, the woman, was an idiot. She was weak. She went with the flow. As a consequence she lost out in years of happiness. How is that someone I can respect or empathize with? I hated her by the middle of the book and the feeling never went away.

If you liked "The Note Book", you'll love "Nights in Rodanthe". I didn't realize until later that both movies were based on work by the same author, Nicholas Sparks. The women squealed shamelessly through Rodanthe, too, every time Gere came on screen. The female protagonist in this movie is indecisive and perenially self-sacrificing as well. I wasn't too impressed with her either. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0956038/

I rarely have such a violent reaction to a fictional character. These two women bother me so much, I've vowed to write the author.

• inkling
    inkling
    I hate it I hate it I hate it I hate it. The protagonist, the woman, was an idiot. She was weak. She went with the flow. As a consequence she lost out in years of happiness. How is that someone I can respect or empathize with? I hated her by the middle of the book and the feeling never went away.

Now come on now, tell us what you really think.

This is interesting... A "chick" who hates a chick flick?

How many females disliked this movie?

(I have seen it, and remember feeling ambivilent.)

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

I couldn't disagree more Jgnat, I really loved the movie and I think the depiction of the female lead was an accurate depiction of alot of young women, unsure of themselves, wanting to please everyone else above themselves. I think the point of the character was that she became a woman when she finally acknowledged that what she wanted was of the highest importance. (Haven't read the book so I will concede it might change that opinion) I can relate alot to the lead female because as an early twenty something I was much more concerned with pleasing everyone around me than pleasing myself. With age comes wisdom and strength.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

When my wife plugs that movie into the DVD player I am required to lie next to her throughout the entire movie. It is purely a guilty pleasure of hers.

SSSHHHH....But I secretly love being near her under any circumstances, even during a so-called chick flick. When she dies I know I will die along with her. My life would have no meaning without my beloved Lisa. Hopefully I will be at her side so she won't go alone.

• oompa
    oompa

of all the movie pre-reviews or whatever...this was the worst i ever heard....something like...."an old man reads a book to an old lady"....and i was like WTF?....damm i loved the rockford files.....what the hey....so anyway...prob my wife makes me watch it....and omg....just speechless awesome....plus i like a good cry.........oompa

• kurtbethel
    kurtbethel

Okay, if you like The Notebook, the same author wrote A Walk to Remember, which was made into a movie. Go watch that and I would bet you like it even better. I did.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit