Ah, The Note Book. What a movie.

by LouBelle 20 Replies latest jw friends

• crapola
    crapola

I loved The Notebook and A Walk to Remember.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Jgnat: I haven't read the book, so only going on the movie here. I wasn't too concerned with the woman's character, it was the way he loved her.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Oh, I agree. The man is a dreamboat. The same for "Night in Rodanthe". But for me, the female protagonist has to be someone I can respect. I don't respect the women in the two of Nicholas Spark's stories that I know of. Now, the women I can relate to are characters as described in Candace Bushnell's book, "Lipstick Jungle". Now they can be just as flawed and flakey, but they are not pushovers.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hehehe more men have responded positively here than women!!!

I semi-liked The Note Book, mostly because of the older folks portion, his incredible love and devotion.

• caliber
    caliber

How about a clip http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=S3G3fILPQAU

This movie seems to be postcard perfect, a lesson straight out of the director's guide to romantic movies. Boy meets girl at a carnival, love from the other side of the tracks, a date by the water, etc. And yet the wonderful thing about this movie is that it takes what seems like a story you've heard already (at least in bits and pieces) and still moves you deeply. It really speaks about love in a way that most romantic moviesmiss by speaking in cliché or over shoot by adding in numerous complications to dramatize things. There have been other great movies to comment on love in recent years (Eternal Sunshine, Lost In Translation jump to mind) but this movie fills a need that those other movies miss: the need for a straight, sweep you off your feet romance. Too bad there can't be movies like this every year...

A positive review

I think the movie reflects women of the time period it depicts, as well it gives lessons.... negative outcomes can then in turn

teach you things for real life lessons !

• John Doe
    John Doe
    The protagonist, the woman, was an idiot. She was weak. She went with the flow. As a consequence she lost out in years of happiness. How is that someone I can respect or empathize with? I hated her by the middle of the book and the feeling never went away.

Much too hokey movie for my taste. The ending where they died together was just over the top. I agree about the girl being weak. She certainly didn't do anything to merit the devotion the guy showed her.

• wozadummy
    wozadummy

I bought the DVD as a teaching aid for myself so I can be better with my next partner.

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Needs more explosions and action...see Australia instead!

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

oh witness 007 I intend too - it has Hugh Jackman in it - and if he's got some of that roughness (not shaved, touselled look) that looks pretty good on a number of men I know I'll enjoy.

**so superficial**

• zagor
    zagor

Just saw it. Loved the story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit