When SHOULD you have "woken up" ?

by wobble 25 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

I SHOULD have woken up when i spent 10 days in Myrtle Beach with my high school graduating class!....my dad nearly kicked me out of the house....instead of letting myself totally enjoy all the decadence.....i felt guilty, and relieved he did not kick me out....so (barf) i pioneered for a year to make up for it!.......the next time i SHOULD have woken up...and prob did, just did not leave was the bye-bye 1914 generation new light........i swear half the dubs still think it has not even changed................oompa

• jamiebowers
    jamiebowers

The first time an elder insisted that I stay in an abusive marriage.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When they told me to not get rides from "sisters" after the book study, I should have just up and told them "All right, fine. I just won't go to them at all any more." And then made good on that promise.

• undercover
    undercover

I should have figured it out in high school when I was living a double life. I was one person at school, another at home and the hall. That's a pretty good indication that something is wrong if you have to hide who you are. But when you're still a kid and you've been fed propaganda your whole life to scare you to conform or die it's hard to think straight.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

When I couldn't get a satisfactory answer about why God killed David and Bath-Sheba's child. This was something that disturbed me about the bible when I was a kid.

• oompa
    oompa

ditto undercover!...another double-lifer here as you can see from my high school post.....but you reminded me of how i would leave the house with my guitar case to go play with friend, but in it was my change of clothes to go boogie at the DISCO!....ya...that is right i liked DISCO!...and i mean the EVIL stuff....donna summer moaning and all....but my fave was anita ward..."you can ring my bell"...........oompa

btw...still feel like i living a double life a lot....i have spoken out a ton....but keep more quiet these days

• Mandette
    Mandette

So many times I should've walked away. BUT the time that stands out in my mind is 1988. The elders told my df'd best friend that if she wanted to be reinstated that she should stay away from me to make the best effort possible. Michelle and I agreed to do that.

Michelle died unexpectedly November 16,1988.

Those power tripping elders took the last months with my best friend away from me.

She was 20 yrs old.

Mandette

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I hate to follow Mandette's sob story, but here goes.

I should have woken up when, on a study, the guy asks about storing your
    own blood for surgery. I was a newbie and said it should be okay. The elder
    who studied with me was the guy conducting the study. He did a complete
    BS session with the guy about how that would be wrong according to Jehovah's
    feelings on blood. Afterward, he chewed me out for jumping ahead with an
    answer to something I didn't completely understand.

Years later, I started planning for retirement in this system of things because of
    the 1995 change in "this generation." That was a good start toward my freedom,
    but I really wish I had just walked away then.

I know I would have walked away in 2008 if I had not already, when they changed
    "this generation" again.

• Caedes
    Caedes

I got out as early as I could, I started openly questioning things and refusing to go to meetings at 16, I just wish that I had started earlier than that.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Exactly when I did, I wouldn't have been ready before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit