Vegetarianism Suggestions?

by exjdub 25 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Mandette,

things like keeping your weight down, exercise, "good" fats like olive oil, flax seed oil, avocado, salmon, nuts seeds and beans can all help raise your HDL.

• beksbks
    beksbks

exjdub

You might want to read an old book called "Diet for a small planet". I believe the author's name is Lappe. There a tons of vegetarian cookbooks at your local library I would bet. Personally, I think ethnic foods like Mexican, Indian, Chinese and Italian can really be delicious done vegetarian. I wouldn't go Vegan personally, because there is at least one B vitamin that is only available from animal sources, or supplements.

Veggie lasagna and Bean tostadas are some of my favorite dishes.

• John Doe
    John Doe

I like to grill tortillas and portobello mushrooms with cheddar. Excellent, although I've got no problem with slaughtering and processing animals either. I do admire someone who won't eat meat if they aren't willing to personally slaughter animals. To do otherwise would be hypocritical.

• Scully
    Scully

If you like Indian food, you can find a lot of good vegetarian curry recipes online. The main dietary concern is how to get protein in your diet when you aren't consuming meat, but this is easily achieved by ensuring that each meal contains a whole grain and a legume - for instance, rice with chickpeas, or lentils with sweet potato, or chili made with kidney beans served with rice - you can sort out your own favorite combinations.

One of our favorite Indian recipes is called aloo gobi - it's a curry made with potatoes, cauliflower and stewed tomatoes, some chopped garlic and onion, and served with rice. I've also added some chickpeas to round out the protein component.

We also enjoy teriyaki noodle stir fry with cubes of tofu instead of meat and I've made my own vegetarian spring rolls to go with it.

We will often have omelettes for dinner, with cheese and vegetables, with a side salad. Easy, inexpensive and everyone seems to like them.

TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein) is a vegetarian's best friend. You can use it as a substitute in any recipe where you'd use ground beef or chicken. In fact, I'm making vegetarian chili for dinner tonight, and a few days ago I used TVP to make vegetarian lasagna. You can buy meatballs or burgers or "deli meat", "bacon", "ham", "chicken nuggets", etc. that are made from TVP. You don't need to deny yourself your favorite meals when you use TVP.

I'm not vegetarian, nor is Mr Scully, but our teenagers are. There is quite a bit of research to support that vegetarianism is a healthier lifestyle overall, beyond the ethics of how animals are raised for food consumption.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    We are Omnivores and we have a choice to eat animals or not, albeit a difficult one, but a choice nonetheless.

If we hadn't eaten meat, we would never have evolved past the monkey stage. We needed meat to provide the energy for our large brains and it is not unhealthy. For example, obesity and diabetes is nearly unknown among the Eskimo peoples who live on a traditional diet.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2374/traditionally-eskimos-ate-only-meat-and-fish-why-didnt-they-get-scurvy

BTS

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    My wife and I are having trouble getting past the way animals are treated for our food supply and also the unhealthy things that are introduced into our food supply. We have also discussed the fact that if our meat, chicken, pork, and turkey was not packaged in little vacuum packed trays where we could exercise a large amount of cognitive dissonance, we would not be able to eat animals.

I see the errors of my way. Thanks... I will head home today and open the gate for my 17 angus cross steers, cows and calfs to head for the hills.

For the love of God... what was I thinking?

If you live close enough and listen at night you can hear corn screaming ........ Vegans.

Hill

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

We eat vegetarian at least once a week. Usually, its fresh chopped tomatoes, garlic, and basil tossed with hot pasta and olive oil, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese. It can be embellished with chopped kalamata olives, oregano, and toasted pine nuts. Add a simple salad and whole grain bread - one of our favorite meals!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Some hae meat and canna eat, -
    And some wad eat that want it;
    But we hae meat, and we can eat,
    Sae let the Lord be thankit.
    ~Robert Burns

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

If we hadn't eaten meat, we would never have evolved past the monkey stage. We needed meat to provide the energy for our large brains and it is not unhealthy.

Certainly meat is high in calories but it's possible to get enough energy to survive and thrive from purely vegetable sources. It seems unlikely that the small amount of extra energy intake from meat contributed to the increae in human brain size but the skills needed for animals as physically deficient as the naked ape to successfully hunt almost certainly did.

For example, obesity and diabetes is nearly unknown among the Eskimo peoples who live on a traditional diet.

They're unknown among almost anybody who lives on a traditional diet, including completely vegetarian diets. Obesity and diabetes have reached epidemic proportions only since the introduction of the modern "Western" - read, American - diet.

• eyeslice
    eyeslice

I have been a vegetarian for a few years now and haven't had any dietary related health problems. I do lots of running and never get coughs or colds, which can't be bad.

I eat lots of Indian food; after all about 80% of India's 1 billion people are vegetarian so they have a lot of experience in vegetarian cooking! Indian food isn't vegan and you can get lots of recipes that include eggs and paneer (Indian cottage cheese)

I would recommend 'Easy Indian' by Das Sreedharan (available from Amazon.com). It has the most beautiful recipes for India dishes that are flavoursome rather than just 'spicy' hot. However, (1) you have to love spicy food or at least acquire the taste and (2) sometimes getting the proper ingredients can be difficult unless you have an expat-Indian community in your area.

I used to live in India and still return regularly; if you ever get a chance to visit, it is worth it for the food alone.

PS I really am Salmon Rushtie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit