Vegetarianism Suggestions?

by exjdub 25 Replies latest jw friends

• exjdub
    exjdub

My wife and I are having trouble getting past the way animals are treated for our food supply and also the unhealthy things that are introduced into our food supply. We have also discussed the fact that if our meat, chicken, pork, and turkey was not packaged in little vacuum packed trays where we could exercise a large amount of cognitive dissonance, we would not be able to eat animals.

I was hoping someone would have some favorite suggestions for books and resources to begin the journey toward vegetarianism. I don't believe I am ready for vegan just yet, but I am open to information. Every time I begin to research the subject it gets a bit overwhelming with all of the information that is available and it is difficult to differentiate the good information from the useless without burning huge blocks of time. If anyone has a favorite book(s) or websites that will address the challenges and the ins and outs of vegetarianism, I would appreciate the help. Thanks.

exjdub

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

But God told us we could eat meat!

LOL

Sorry, I'm no help to you. I enjoy a steak far too much to just eat veg.

• Mandette
    Mandette

I went about 3 yrs without eating meat. If you have the will to learn that way of cooking then it can be great!! But I'm having problems with keeping my good cholesterol up where it should be. My bad is low but my good is not great.

If the major issue you have is with how the animals are treated, you could look locally for those who raise free range beef on grain diets and that are slaughtered and processed there. Then you'd know that they are treated right and humanely slaughtered. I also get my eggs locally from friends of mine who have chickens the love!

Mandette

• exjdub
    exjdub

Amha·’aret...I hate to say it but I like a good steak too, but I think a lot of that is conditioning and I believe I can get beyond it. To say I would never have a steak, though, would probably be unrealistic. The good news for the cows is that if I have a steak once in a blue moon it still means I have reduced my intake dramatically and have improved my health.

Mandette: We do try to buy locally...but it still does not get us beyond the fact that we are eating something that was alive and was killed solely for us to eat. I was able to go vegetarian for 3 months a couple of years ago, however I am on the road a lot for business and had difficulty maintaining it. That will still be a challenge.

exjdub

• tijkmo
    tijkmo
    My wife and I are having trouble getting past the way animals are treated for our food

i have a problem with how vegetables are treated

• Mandette
    Mandette

Look at this way.......a cow/pig/fish/chicken is in the natural food chain. A Mountain Lion, fox, coyote, to name a few all hunt and eat these animals. They for the most part kill quickly. There are many arguments for and against humans eating meat. I tend to believe we need animal protein of some kind. That being said, I've been TRYING to eat some chicken mainly. It's a very hard thing for me to do. I'm not being very successful at it. And my reasons were not so much the treatment of animals in factory farming(although it's part of it), I just found eating meat unappetizing. I have been able to eat fish. But it's expensive and not to be eaten more than 3 times a week.

I'm not the cooking type. Although of all things, I cook an exceptional pot roast! So my main thing are the vegetarian Weight Watcher meals and other similar items. Thank God for freezers and microwaves!

I am going to try to eat some turkey on Thursday. TRY is the big word.

I wish you well....

Mandette

• exjdub
    exjdub

Tik,

You might want to consider eliminating vegetables from your diet, if you have a moral dilemma, and going all meat...but you might shorten your life a bit if you do.

exjdub

• exjdub
    exjdub

"Look at this way.......a cow/pig/fish/chicken is in the natural food chain. A Mountain Lion, fox, coyote, to name a few all hunt and eat these animals. They for the most part kill quickly."

It is true that the animals you mention hunt and eat other animals. The difference is that they have the digestion and stomach acids to digest the meat and live almost exclusively on it, and they also generally cull the weak and old animals of the herd. This serves to strengthen the herd, while also at the same time keeping control on explosive growth that would become a problem. Humankind does not eat meat for the same reasons as carnivores. We are Omnivores and we have a choice to eat animals or not, albeit a difficult one, but a choice nonetheless. Hence the dilemma for me.

exjdub

• Amha·’aret
    Amha·’aret

I like to consider myself an ethicial meat eater. Sounds like a paradox but this is what I mean. Wherever possible, I eat meat that has had a decent life. It has been able to graze free range, was raised locally (so no awful cramped long journeys) and was slaughtered humanely. I buy from a butcher who has his own slaughter house and thus packaging and transport are minimal (kinder to the environment).

Around here, a lot of resturants are sourcing their produce locally and use meat that I feel happy consuming. I'm sure if you look you might find something similar near you. Consumers are starting to demand it so that need will be filled by at least some eateries.

This website might be of interest to you - http://eatwild.com/

You could always eats veggie when on the road and find a source for meat that you feel happy with when you are at home. If you switch to eating as a veggie, do it right so that your health doesn't suffer. Its not just about cutting out veg, its about finding replacement protein sources and nutrients.

Am

• Mandette
    Mandette

Exjdub,

I understand. We are omnivores and do have a choice. I personally am worried about the level of my good cholesterol. I need to do research but I think it has something to do with the lack of protein in my diet.

I hope it works for you. It's been a struggle of mine for 3 yrs now. It's hard to know what is the right diet changes to do.

Mandette

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit