I want a family to celebrate Christmas with

by puppylove 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Kristen
    Kristen

Puppylove,
    Me too. Big time. And I am only one half of an (inactive jw) couple that desires to do such things. It's frustrating. At least if my other half were on the same page it wouldn't be so hard to go through these months. I would have SOMEONE.

Tonight I "won" a beautiful mini christmas ornament in class (playing a game to review for finals). But it's still sitting out in my car. I have no where to put it, nobody to share it with. Sigh . Anyone want an ornament?

(((HUGS))) to you and the rest of us holiday orphans.

Kristen

• Ranchette
    Ranchette

What you are feeling is very normal.
    I have gone through this at different times through the year.And will probably experience it again.
    I have joked about taking out an add in the paper that says something like this,

WANTED
    Family to adopt our little family.
    We are adults who need parents, brothers, sisters ,aunts and uncles and our children need grandparents.
    Please remember us.
    We don't want material things.
    We just want and need true love and attention.
    Call-xxx-xxxx if interested in adopting us.

But seriously,
    The others are right when they say you have to start traditions and memories for yourself no matter how small your family is.
    You also need to make new friends and reach out to those in need.
    When you are feeling lonely and low, this is the best time to help others.
    No matter what you accompolish for others you will get more out of it yourself.
    There are many Holiday volenteer projects out there and you will meet people that way.

Ranchette

• Tammie
    Tammie

((((((((((puppylove)))))))))
    I feel the same way you do. My husband has relatives who are filling in the gap, but it is not quite the same. This is my first year celabrating the holidays. I was DA back in Aug. So my family has turned their backs on me. But I'm actually finding that is better for my own family. But I do see those tv comericals, and all the family love that they show. I'm not trying to rush my children, but one day when they grow up, and have their own families. Having them to come to my home. Oh what joy. But that is a long ways off. They are only 4 and 6.

• mommy
    mommy

(((((hugs))))) to all
    This can be a very lonely time of year, I myself am having a very hard time getting in the christmas spirit. Usually I have my tree up and presents underneath it by now. I moved away from my "wordly" family who I usually spend holidays with, and I miss them. That along with some other things going on right now, I am actually forcing smiles for the kids, I can't ruin it for them. I know as it gets closer their enthusiam will be infectious.

I agree that the Christmas card exchange will help alot, to have a hold on others out there who are feeling the same way. We received 2 cards today and the kids were ecstatic! They have even asked when we are sending ours out...so beware for those who get one from us, I am sure the kids will have a part in it as well

Just keep your chins up! And if you act positive it usually carries over, until you are positive. I know that will be my trick this year.
    wendy

When I leave, you will know I have been here

• Kismet
    Kismet

May I suggest 'adopting' a family for Christmas. A few ideas..

Go to a local nursing home - spend some time with folks who's family is too busy to visit them

Organise a sleeping bag/blanket drive and distribute them to the homeles

Go work at a soup kitchen with your husband

Go to a local Childrens' hospital with little trinkets.stuffed animals. bring boxed turkey dinner to one or two families there.

Christmas is about sharing something with others. If your own family is not available adopt one somewhere.

Kismet

• Scully
    Scully

Kristen

I saw a great idea for displaying single ornaments on a craft program. Use a pretty frame with the back removed or a grape vine wreath wrapped in coordinating ribbon... then hang the ornament by a ribbon in the center of the opening. You can display it year round that way if you want. If anyone makes a jw-ish derogatory comment, you can proudly say you it was a prize given to you, and like any other award, it deserves to be on display.

Love, Scully

• Kristen
    Kristen

Scully,
    That is a very creative and thoughtful idea. I have some frames laying around too. I just may do that...

Thank you.

• alliwannadoislive
    alliwannadoislive

hey pupps

as much as we all seem to want xmas big time - there's loads of non jw families for whom xmas heralds a sad and upsetting experience - xmas seems to bring all the bad anniversaries together for so many people :(

i like the idea that peace had - make our own traditions - small things are the really big things in life ...

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

((((puppylove))))

I completely understand! I just want a normal family period. Not just at Christmas, but I guess that's really a lot to ask for, huh? :) Something I did last year? I had several friends that didn't have families to celebrate with...so we got together and cooked and drank wine and had a great time together. I wasn't so lonely and it made me feel good to know that I was helping others feel better about Christmas too!

Tammie - my experience is like yours. Neil's family is a wonderful, loving, fun family and they have opened their arms wide for me. Which I appreciate more than I'll ever be able to tell and show them. But it's not the same. I still long for my own dad's arms hugging me and my own mom helping in the kitchen. I am very thankful for Neil and his family though...they love me unconditionally, which is something I've never had before.

Andi

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

This invitation is open to any who are willing to arrive in my area and come my house anytime over the holidays. We live about 30 miles due west of Pittsburgh, near the Pa-WV-Ohio state lines. E-mail me for times and directions.
    I'm serious.
    Rex

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit