I want a family to celebrate Christmas with

by puppylove 20 Replies latest jw friends

• puppylove
    puppylove

I want a "normal" family. I want to go to my mom's home on Christmas. I want to fight with my husband about whose house we are going to this year - his mom's or mine. I want to exchange gifts with all my brothers and sisters. I want to send christmas gifts to my nephews and nieces. I want to sing carols with my dad. I want to eat turkey until I can't move. I want traditions. I want memories.

I want a non-jw family

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

((((((((puppylove))))))))

i'm sorry you feeling so down. is there anyway you can start to make your own traditions with your immediate family now? (i'm not sure if your hubby is a jw or not)

i want much of the same with my family. i wish i had the guts to give christmas presents to my jw family (i mean, they DO know i celebrate it, just not sure how they'd react to presents.) i also wish i could call and wish them happy birthdays and happy new years and happy thanksgivings. i try to not dwell on these things though. instead i try to enjoy the holidays the best i can with my friends. but i know it's hard. wish i had some wonderful words for you sweetie but all i can offer is cyber *HUGS*

love
    harmony

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• puppylove
    puppylove

Thanks Harmony. Big hugs right back to you ((((((hugs)))))))

I wish I knew why I feel so low. Hubby and I are trying to have our own traditions (we put on christmas music and decorated our tree) but I'm sooooo jealous of others with families.

I'll probably feel better tomorrow

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Hi Puppylove,

Sad story. Have you and hubby got any "worldly" friends who celebrate Christmas? If you told them that you lead a deprived life and never got a chance to celebrate Christmas with a normal family, you never know, you might get an invitation! You could offer to help out with certain aspects of the celebration. If I were you, I'd try - a decent Christmas celebration is worth the effort and the fuss, IMO!

"You've got the brain of a four-year-old boy, and I'll bet he was glad to get rid of it."
    - Groucho Marx

• Simon
    Simon

You are your own family. That's how me and Ang see it - we just do things with the kids and celebrate together.

I know Xmas can make a lot of people feel isolated - this year, with the card swapping etc... it hasn't felt so bad but I do know how frustrating it is not having the family spirit that other families seem to have.

• FormerOne
    FormerOne

We are opening our home to several "lonely" servicemen this year. The USO hooks up sailors and marines who are far from home with local families and they can come enjoy a nice Christmas dinner away from the base.

This will be our first year doing it, but I'm very excited about it (as are my children). If you're anywhere near a military base, I'm sure they have similar programs you can volunteer for.

• karen7680
    karen7680

ME TOO!!!!!!!!!! Doesn't it SUCK?!? :( :( :(

Karen

-------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Ex-JW Get Together! Visit http://www.exjw.info for more details.

• julien
    julien

Ditto here;
    luckily my spouse has a great family with great Xmas traditions, so although I don't get to enjoy holidays with my parents/siblings I can still enjoy them with hers.

• tdogg
    tdogg

Right on Simon.

I still dont get Christmas. It is a very strange thing that happens every year.

• patio34
    patio34

Hi PuppyLove,

Good thread! I've been feeling down and I think you hit the nail on the head!

JWs always quickly point out how Christmas itself causes depression--ha! It's their Puritannical viewpoints and disruptions of regular family life that are the problem!

Thanks for the perceptions.
    Pat

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit