The two reasons Witnesses think they are the Truth

by BonaFide 25 Replies latest jw friends

• BonaFide
    BonaFide

I have had several conversations over the past few years with brothers that I know that are elders, C.O.'s, and Bethelites.

One thing almost all of them have said:

"You know, the Organization changes, and our understanding changes. But TWO things make me still believe. One, only JW's earthwide consistently don't go to war, and two, we are the ones doing the preaching work of Matthew 24:14."

So, all the teaching changes, and organizational changes are not a big deal, at least to these brothers that I have known for years.

So, am I right? Is that what those of you that are Witnesses think? That nothing else really matters except those two things?

BF

• avishai
    avishai

Quakers? Mormons?

• wobble
    wobble

Christadelphians were Conscientious Objectors in the American Civil War and ever since,they preach the Kingdom wherever they are on earth,and their Kingdom is scriptural.

Also they published their list of Doctrines in the 1800's and havn't changed them since!

They are of course, a man-made organisation,as are all religions.

Love

wobble

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Many non-religious people refuse to go to war thinking that killing or politics is wrong.......but I guess Jehovah will destroy these good people since they are not offical Witnesses.....and don't go door to door.

• mustang
    mustang

I doubt that the Amish & Mennonites go either; there have always been non-religious C.O.'s (Conscientious Objectors) as already was pointed out. During W.W.I some anarchists railed against the draft and went to prison, same as Russell and Rutherford. One of them got more notice in his legal battles than the WTS. (Back then, the "clear and present danger" theory held in interpreting the Sedition Act: all you had to do was print or speak out not to go.)

These are weak arguments (including the preaching) when held up against the hypocrisy. Once someone declares themselves so self-righteously as the JW's do, they are held to a very exacting scrutiny, with no room for mistakes. They fail: these brothers only convince themselves.

Mustang

• Thirdson
    Thirdson

I used to think like that but even while 'in' I began to doubt the preaching work.

According to the WTS' own statistics half of all JWs live in just six countries. Half of all their preaching work is done in a fraction of the world and a faction that is already mainly Christian. JWs have hardly any presence in India, Indonesia and China and those three countries represent about half the world's population.

That's just the coverage, what about the ineffectual work that their preaching is. Four or six people drive about in a car for a couple of hours, at best, taking it in turns to go to a house. If they are lucky find someone home the JW callers will be turned away. Ask non-JWs to explain the core JW beliefs and the difference compared to mainstream Christianity I doubt a fraction could. One hundred and thirty plus years of preaching in the US has not got their message out.

I read recently that spamming e-mail gets one hit in 12 million e-mails. That is about what the JW ministry is -- the preaching equivalent of Spam.

3rd

• leavingwt
    leavingwt

The reason they think they are The Truth, is that the Faithful & Discreet Slave told them so.

If the Slave says it, they believe it. Period.

Reality has nothing to do with the beliefs of the cult member.

Circular reasoning works just find, if your mind is being controlled.

alt

(Thanks to Paul Grundy for the illustration above.)

• oompa
    oompa

bonafide, i often hear of the "we only preach the kingdom" thingy, but rarely the war thingy...i always hear how we have the only true worlwide brotherhood, and just look at our fruitage we produce compared to all other religions....and ya....most of them are fruity too.........oompa

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

When I read the topic heading, those were the a reasons that came to mind. Mormans only preach for 2 years and don't only the males go out?

• sweetstuff
    sweetstuff

What I find funny is that they believe they preach the "good news" as outlined in Matthew. No what they preach is the bad news outlined in Revelation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit