How much does your childhood have a bearing on your future?

by jambon1 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Oh Ok thanks, so I guess it is a canadian term then. At first I thought it meant girlfriends, then I thought it meant girl magazines like Cosmopolitan, etc etc etc. Thanks for clearing that up.

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

An ancient Buddhist thought says basically the 'wake does not steer the ship'. Most people, unaware of this, allow their past to control them. In this sense it is true, our past has a great bearing on our future, but only because we allow it.

Steve

• TheSilence
    TheSilence
    What about those whos childhood has been completely immersed in JW la-la land. As far as I can see, they have nothing to go on.

Well, we didn't have anything to go on as far as comparing the jw experience to the 'worldly' experience, no. But, speaking for myself, what we had to go on was that niggling doubt in the back of your head as you're growing up when something came up that just didn't make sense. Then you hit the pre-teen/teen years and combine that niggling doubt with natural teenage rebellion... and viola'! Of course, that doesn't work for everyone... but it worked for me ;)

Jackie

• oompa
    oompa

I felt like a freak during 12 years of schooling...a freak....i tried so hard to fit in, but being yanked out of every class at birthday parties and holiday till i was 11 can take quite a toll...at least as a teen i could really double-life my way through school....and god i had fun in high school....but i think those earlier years caused me to become the class clown in an effort to be more accepted....i still love humor maybe a bit too much and still love to make people laugh....i have even done some standup.....oh, and btw....if your entire childhood and most of your life thereafter you are told you will never grown old or die...and that demons are in things you buy at yardsales????....uhhhh....that can really fluck up your mind....cause you to think college and a great job are a bad idea.....oh ya....that is great for our future.....damm the bastards to hell............oompa

oh and jst2 : An ancient Buddhist thought says basically the 'wake does not steer the ship'. Most people, unaware of this, allow their past to control them.

thats it!...i am becoming buddhist!....as i sailor i really love what you wrote.........

• no more kool aid
    no more kool aid

I think it utterly makes you who you are. However, if as an adult you gain insight as to how some of these traits work or don't work for you, you have to work to change them. I don't think it has to define you forever.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit