How much does your childhood have a bearing on your future?

by jambon1 14 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

When a lot of you were being taken along to the Kingdom Hall as children, I was involved with school projects and my dads favourite football team.

We were a community family. We had bonfires, haloween parties, new year parties & to some extent christmas.

I also gathered among around 13 000 other people to watch our capitals biggest football (soccer) team every 2nd week. Eventually, this particular interest would be pivotal in my leaving the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I had a very happy childhood.

I sometimes encounter smells & sights that remind me of that very exciting era in my yet young exsistance. It reminds me of happy times.

I became involved with the Jehovah's Witness religion at around 17 years old. From that point on my life would never be the same again.

After a decade spent among 'gods people', I was completely disillusioned with religion, particularly the Jehovah's Witnesses.

I haste ye on to my main point; I very quickly began to re-associate with the people of my youth. Mainly my family. I had re-connected with them. But also my friends from the past. I went back to my beloved football team.

I was feeling more satisfied & loved among these people than I ever did among my JW brothers at the centre of pure worship.

Among so many reasons I realised that I had to leave the religion. I had a place to go where I felt happy. It was what I had left behind to pursue more important & virtuous goals. I realised that this was a crock of bullshyte. I had to get out.

Looking back, my happy childhood pulled me out of the filthy, self-seeking cult that is the JW religion.

But what about those that have never been taken to see the 'greatest football team on earth'?

Just kidding. What about those whos childhood has been completely immersed in JW la-la land. As far as I can see, they have nothing to go on.

So how has your JW or non-JW background had it's effect on you?

Regards & much peace.

Jambo(n).

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

This is my biggest complaint against the JW lifestyle, it robs children of happiness and the chance to live a normal life. Thankfully I had "worldly" christian relatives who helped make it a little better for us.

• yknot
    yknot

I grew up with 3 views...... (liberal middle of the pyramid JW, hardcore bottom level pyramid JW, and worldly)_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Your childhood is can be your foundation, your springboard.... or a bit of both.

Now if I just could figure out which direction to bounce to next...........

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Ones childhood has a huge bearing on ones future

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

We are the sum result of our genetics, our upbringing and our experiences.

I dont think having been a JW is good for ones resume.

Or total life picture.

Being a JW definitely would be considered baggage as one goes through life.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Hugely. It affects every aspect of your life. And depending on where your family was on the good JW scale, it can be even more.

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

I had a wonderful childhood prior to the JW conversion on the part of my father in 63, After that no more fun, no more christmas, birthdays, halloween, easter, no more girl guides, no more sports at school, no more friends no more fun, no more going to the movie, just meeting, service , bookstudy, bibile study week in week out for 38yrs and then in 99 I had enough of it. I was fed up being spied on, looked under a microscope like I was a bacteria or microbe, I just couldn't stand the fighting in the cong. and I wanted out of my marriage and so I did the you know what with my friend and the rest was the best nine years with Marco and freedom from that rotton Organization.

Now that I am alone I reflect often of my younger years and the joy of having so much fun despite the fact my father was a hard core alcoholic and mother a drug addict, but my grandmother was all I needed to be the happiest kid on the planet and my world crashed when we were forced to become one of them.

Orangefatcat.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Orangefatcat, what is a girl guide?

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Childhood is so profoundly formative that it's difficult to quantify it's bearing on our future. Generalizations can be limiting. But human beings have overcome some gargantuan obstacles and went on to live happy fulfilling lives in spite of incredible odds. ////// It sounds wonderful that you had those formative years pre-JW to ground you. :) It's all relative. :)

• SPAZnik
    SPAZnik

Orangefatcat, if I may ... Junction-Guy, it's like Boy Scouts ... but for girls.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit