Escape From Jonestown

by sacolton 17 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

I was at Bethel when this happened. This was the beginning of the ned for me, really shook me up. I remember to this very day walking into the St. George Hotel to take the subway to my cobngregation, and saw the news. It really shook me up, I was never the same after that. Little seeds grow up into big apostates! :-))

Randy

Keep your sanity!

• IHaveADream
    IHaveADream

I remember this day all too well. My husband had a fellow co-worker killed while he was filming the departure of the Mayor of San Francisco and all the others who were boarding the plane to leave. Suddenly, the view from the camera goes sideways and you realize the cameraman was shot (he was hit in the head so he died instantly.) Another cameraman was shot in the arm, but pretended he was dead so he was able to escape. Such an awful, awful day in history. Hard to imagine someone can have that much control over people.

Of course, we all know the origin of the trite phrase about drinking the Kool-aid. Thanks for nothing Jim Jones!

• oompa
    oompa

did you know that the assembly hall in indianapolis was owned by jim jones?....geeze how weird is it to go from one cult to anoter?.....it used to be a government building....postal i think.....mostly only the locals there know ...............oompa

• Quandary
    Quandary

The People's Temple sacrificed their children, giving them Kool Aid with arsenic and cyanide because their leader told them to.

JWs sacrifice literally sacrifice their children by prohibiting life saving blood transfusions, and figuratively by denying them an advanced education. WHY? Because their leaders (GB) tell them to.

Scary!

• mustang
    mustang
    there were two guys at the front gates with guns (machine guns? rifles?)

I've been overseas and seen assault troops in airports; same thing in a Mexican bank, once. I'm OK w/ that. But when I go to a Church and see armed storm troopers as greeters, my first thought is 'where's mine?'; second thought is 'clear out'.

Maybe we did get off light as JW's

Mustang

• IHaveADream
    IHaveADream

I want to apologize for the error I made in stating that the Mayor of San Francisco was the government official that was killed at Jonestown. Just as CNN stated, it was Leo Ryan the Congressman from California that was killed that fateful day.

I think what all those people went through was real, living evil...evil incarnate. I recommend an incredible book that you might want to read. It is called Evil: An Investigation by Lance Morrow. I could not put it down. I was watching The Late, Late Show with Craig Ferguson when Mr. Morrow made a guest appearance. The man is so interesting and Craig was so fascinated with his book. After hearing their discussion on the subject of evil, my curiosity piqued and I ordered the book off of Amazon immediately. My husband is now reading it. It raises more questions than it answers and this Jonestown tragedy really falls into the realm of evil happenings.

Best to all...IHAD

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Being that WT had convinced me to believe that we weren't a cult, I didn't pay much attention to this incident. Tonight therefore was very enlightening. I didn't realize that a U.S. Congressman was killed investigating this. If only the government had used this as a springboard to research cults and HCG's....

Isaac Carmignani

• avishai
    avishai

I remember picking up the newspaper that morning, and seeing the pic. of all the dead. That was the end of my innocence. I cried all day, even at the KH. When they tried to tell me they were all "worldly" it freaked me out even more.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit