Escape From Jonestown

by sacolton 17 Replies latest jw friends

• sacolton
    sacolton

Thirty years ago, 900 people died by murder and suicide. Only a few survived. Now, CNN special correspondent Soledad O'Brien reports on their untold stories as "CNN Presents: Escape from Jonestown."

Watch Thursday, 9p ET

• ninja
    ninja

you can get the jonestown deathtape off the net.....http://www.archive.org/details/ptc1978-11-18.flac16....an hour of madness.....I sometimes listen to it when I need cheering up....he he

• snowbird
    snowbird
    I sometimes listen to it when I need cheering up....he he

Ninja, you always make me laugh.

Sylvia

• Witness 007
    Witness 007

Thanks Sacolton...our worldly relatives thought that Jonestown was a Witness gathering.....maybe they were right with the blood issue and all.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I met Jim Jones while i was at bethel(1974-76) in NY. I was in the park next to the factory durring lunch preparing for a study,,he came up to me and asked me what I was reading and we were talking when he started giving me this speal about Ceasar, Pharoah, and Jehovah as God walking in the mist of his people to which I asked him: "so what's your point?". He then put his hand on my shoulder and said:" God Jehovah, Paroah, Ceasar I am He." I then proceeded to take his hand off my shoulder and tell him I got to go, to which he said : "Don't be afraid my son." to which I said see ya.

It wasn't until 78 that I recognized after seeing his picture in the news that this man I met in the park was Jim Jones.

Here is a video you might find interresting:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7860880126603536377&ei=_gMbSaDCKpn-qAP64unxDQ&q=jonestown+documentary&hl=en

• Kudra
    Kudra

Jim Jones had his compound in the town next to where I grew up in northern California. My mom's friend became a follower and died at Jonestown.

This friend invited my parents out to the compound in Redwood Valley and my parents actually went to the meeting- but when they got there, there were two guys at the front gates with guns (machine guns? rifles?)and my parents were like, "maybe this isn't the church we need to be attending".

So my parents never went back.

Anyhoo, I guess I got off pretty good just ending up being a JW instead of dead in the jungle.

I am just glad that my mom's parents hadn't just died before she got the invite to the "People's Temple" (I think that's what it was called). I think that her parents just died right before the JWs came around and that was what suckered her into the Witnesses.

I was going to make a thread on the Jonestown massacre- CNN has a good series of articles with tons of info.

-K

• sf
    sf

MSNBC had this last week:

WITNESS TO JONESTOWN

E Entertainment {THS} just had this program on this weekend:

http://television.aol.com/show/ths-investigates-cults-religion-and-mind-control/10320846/upcoming

Also, A&E did a program called "Mind Control".

Interesting how this issue is making the airwaves NOW.

sKally

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

Wow Kudra! Running Away

Thanks for the heads up Shaun. Does anyone know when this will be on CNN Europe?

If you think about it, JW's pledge unquestioning obedience to the F&DS. The mindset in Jonestown was basically the JW one. Fortunately the GB haven't (yet) had the complete mental breakdown that Jim Jones evidently did.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

The last I heard the cia or some part of the US government took those people out because of secret testing experiments that went awry. Either the testing went awry or was completed. But the government was through with them.

There was a US congressman involved investigating it.

• cameo-d
    cameo-d

The last I heard the cia or some part of the US government took those people out because of secret testing experiments that went awry. Either the testing went awry or was completed. But the government was through with them.

There was a US congressman involved investigating it.

So dark conspiracies really do exist! It's not just my imagination.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit