Is disfellowshipping as popular as it was years ago?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• kairos
    kairos

Something happened in my area nearly 20 years ago.

People were getting DF'd every meeting for 6 weeks in a row.
    It was really unerving. seems like 20ish people were involved.

about 50/50 DF to reproved.

I never really got to the bottom of the "wrongdoing".
    I seem to remember gossip about satanism/witchcraft being whispered and quickly ignored...

Very few came back to "the truth".

I agree, people "in" want to be there for the most part. They will leave first, instead getting DF'd.

That's what I did.

• minimus
    minimus
    MYbe they don't like the bad press.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Maybe they are looking at the number of people they have and dont want to risk losing more.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    More and more people are realizing that they can simply fade.
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    More and more people are realizing that they can simply fade.

There might be something to this. When I left, I kind of felt like a defendant trying to flee the country before his criminal trial. I might be able to escape the law for a while, but it'd eventually catch up to me. Except "the law," in this case, the elders, didn't seem to care.

The elder body was tired and overworked and didn't have the desire to go chasing after the flock. From what I can tell, this is a recent phenomenon. I don't think the average elder body, say in the '70s, would have let me slip away that easily.

• What is Truth?
    What is Truth?
    I agree it has to do with the age demographics. Mostly older ones or young ones under 16 in my hall now. Most of the ones my age from 18 to 28 have already left or been DF'd. Just within the last year the congregation north of me had about all of their young adults DF'd, one of around 125 publishers. They still DF people it's just there are less rebellious people to take action against.
  • confuzzlediam
    confuzzlediam

When I was disfellowshipped 5 years ago, there were 3 others who were disfellowshipped on the same night. My announcement came 2 weeks later because I appealed. On the same night that the other 3 were disfellowshipped, 6 were also publicly reproved.

I believe it is still happening quite frequently. I no longer go, so I am not kept in the loop as to who is in and who is out anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit