Is disfellowshipping as popular as it was years ago?

by minimus 46 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus
    I seldom hear of people getting DF'd anymore. Years ago it seemed there were a few per year in a congregation.
  • Mad Irishman
    Mad Irishman
    People who don't want to be JW's don't stick around like they used to. So there is less disfellowshipping nowadays. At least that's what I witnessed.
  • poopie
    poopie
    it is disfelowshopping is still used as a weapon to beat the crap out of people until they beg for mercy elders use it as billy club to keep control not all the time but far to many times
  • minimus
    minimus
    Years ago, the elders`would go after you if they thought you were a fornicator, a smoker or a doubter. Now, I think they generally don't go after people unless it's in their face.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Some of this could be related to the fact that the age demographics within JW congregations have gone to more of a older middle age group.

More older men and more pliable submissive woman.

In comparison to the 60 's 70 's where there were huge number of young people in the halls.

I would guess that there are more circumstances of people fading out before they are DFed as it were.

• Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss
    I don't see as much of it but I think this is a symptom of the average age of dubs being much older. Not too much a 60 year old is gonna do to get the axe.
  • Simon
    Simon

There is more information now available online about how to make a successful exit by fading. This could account for some of the reduction (if there is one).

Also, the lack of recent growth by recruitment could mean that there are more "die-ins" left who will be there until they end.

They may well also be less quick to use it as more attention has been shone on the practice.

It only takes a few slight changes to contribute to a noticeable change.

• pixel
    pixel
    In my hall, IT IS very popular.
  • Ignoranceisbliss
    Ignoranceisbliss

Pixel,

is your hall younger?

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

With 115,000 + or - congregations worldwide, you figure one d'fing on average a year per congregation, that's still a hefty number. In my circle of 'JW friends' I've heard of about 6 in the past year from surrounding congregations . You have to keep in mind that BOEs main role is to police congregation members not shepherd them. And it doesn't help that WT reminds COs and elders alike that d'fing is a 'loving' arrangement.... so of course your going to have d'f happy elders.

Individuals coming out of the closet, 'apostate' related and infidelity are probably leading causes of d'fing. One thing is for certain there's a great deal of marital problems among the young and old alike in JW world; that alone creates a great deal of judicial committees.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit